New (Old) Range Rover from Land Rover

zardos

The price is disgusting but no doubt there will be plenty who are daft enough to pay it and the landy mags can gush over how good they are ?Might be time to go grab a few classics before they're all snapped up by  the other extortioners out there ?.In all seriousness how do they come up with those prices ?Throwing the best of everything at a classic rebuild I still can't get it above 40k , that's a hell of a profit ?

Edited by Ozzy50

To be fair, i doubt LR are making much of a margin on these.  i've restored a few classics and they are very labour intensive - I assume they are stripping them down to component level throughout and rebuilding with new or factory refurbished parts to make effectively a new car.  That's a lot of hours and it sounds like they've retooled for some parts -  sounds like they will sell you kitkat seats as an option.

Assuming this is being done in the updated special vehicles factory with a large dedicated staff, the overheads and staff costs must be enormous.

I would imagine this is in part a great apprentice training project, part vanity project and partly driven by the fact they no longer have the Defender on the books and this retains a brand heritage link.

17 hours ago, steve b said:

........I wonder if the upper tailgate pops open at random moments as per the original spec ? Or maybe at that price it comes with it's own elastic load cord to back up the latch :P

Steve b

8 hours ago, uninformed said:

I wonder if they still belt the windsreens in with a xt large rubber mallet when they dont quite fit right....and as my mate said who witnessed this on his Solihull tour said " if thats what they let the public see....imagine what they dont!"

I had one of the Bahama gold 2 door  in 72  didn't  have any tailgate problems , or with the 81 4 door model I got next . The 72 was arguably the best of the range rovers I have owned (7) , it was certainly the best mpg and reliability wise . P38 was the worst !  The first two sold for more than I paid for them the third was evens , after that the depreciation got worse and worse.  Belting windscreens into cars when they used rubber screen surrounds was the norm , during assembly , especially when they were building 34 an hour on the line :) 

I still have the LHD headlamps in the black surrounds that I used to fit when going to europe!

£135k  seems fair and not a bad investment , certainly better than a lot of others

Edited by tacr2man

Crikey! I knew they were doing the Series I rebuilds, but they've been silly money anyway for many, many years now so that was no surprise. What a weird company JLR is. They either don't make the parts you need, or they do have them for brain-melting prices, and then suddenly they're in the car rebuild business. 

I wonder how they're getting enough parts together to build all those LT95s? And hopefully the steel body parts won't be finished in children's watercolour paint like they used to be. 

On 2/2/2017 at 11:26 PM, Eightpot said:

I would imagine this is in part a great apprentice training project, part vanity project and partly driven by the fact they no longer have the Defender on the books and this retains a brand heritage link.

As you say, it's a brand building exercise. JLR are attempting to create the reputation that the likes of Ferrari, Mercedes, Aston Martin, Porsche etc. have with their factory classic restoration shops. Naturally you can't just build it up overnight, and simply building it out and hoping the customers come is an expensive exercise. So when you you think about it, these programs get them a lot of media attention; builds up the experience of the team, whilst making money; and lets them demonstrate what they are capable of. 

As for the cost, compared to over £500 for a simple oil service, it probably represents good vale for money from JLR! ;);):)

Cheers, Steve 

As far as a jlr rebuilt classic goes I'm massively disinterested,and if people want to pay all that money for one then more fool them ,I couldn't live with myself knowing I had that much money tied up in a motor ,my only concern is what it does to prices of classics ,alright if you've on to sell , not if you're wanting one .oh well whatever I guess 

14 hours ago, SteveG said:

As you say, it's a brand building exercise. JLR are attempting to create the reputation that the likes of Ferrari, Mercedes, Aston Martin, Porsche etc. have with their factory classic restoration shops. Naturally you can't just build it up overnight, and simply building it out and hoping the customers come is an expensive exercise. So when you you think about it, these programs get them a lot of media attention; builds up the experience of the team, whilst making money; and lets them demonstrate what they are capable of. 

%0

14 hours ago, SteveG said:

As for the cost, compared to over £500 for a simple oil service, it probably represents good vale for money from JLR! ;);):)

Cheers, Steve 

I'd bet you're right about that. But wouldn't it be nice if they just built decent new vehicles in the first place? 

On 2/2/2017 at 8:43 PM, Ozzy50 said:

The price is disgusting but no doubt there will be plenty who are daft enough to pay it and the landy mags can gush over how good they are ?Might be time to go grab a few classics before they're all snapped up by  the other extortioners out there ?.In all seriousness how do they come up with those prices ?Throwing the best of everything at a classic rebuild I still can't get it above 40k , that's a hell of a profit ?

i went on the factory tour to see them doing the series 1 and the guide reckoned that each rebuild was costing between 60,000 and 80,000 pounds depending on the level of work involved and parts required. However he didn't say what price they had been sold for. The initial batch of 25 vehicles sold out within days.

Edited by neil110