V8 timing and flywheel

Simon_CSK

I have a problem with the timing on my P38 and have put a post on previously. I am looking at the flywheel and have noticed a couple of things relating to it. Is it possible to install it incorrectly i.e. it has 4 fixing bolts symmetrically placed so therefore it could be fixed 4 different ways. 

If it is fixed incorrectly does it mean engine/ gearbox out and start again?

43 minutes ago, FridgeFreezer said:

There should be a dowel in the crank that means the flywheel can only go on one way.

Didn't notice a dowel and put it on and off a couple of times. In theory it can be out 1/4 or 1/2 turn therefore if I put the plus leads in in three other positions in theory it should fire? Otherwise back to square one and engine out to check the flywheel.

2 hours ago, FridgeFreezer said:

I've had them pull out with mole grips with relatively low effort, although the last one put up more of a fight than that.

Certainly the old block had the dowel but I don't remember the one on the new block. That doesn't mean it isn't there it just means that I have an awful memory. I think first job at the weekend will be to check the right leads are going to the right plugs. I can then take it from there.

The car is a Thor P38 Auto.

The old block definitely had a dowel because I can see it as it is still in my driveway. The drive plate therefore has the dowel hole. I cannot remember seeing the dowel when I refitted the drive plate but I have such an awful memory then it could be there or it could be missing.

The first thing I heed to establish is that the plug leads are fitted correctly. If that is the case or there is still a problem after it is corrected I think the only thing I can do is drop the gearbox. It will give me the excuse to change the transfer box anyway because the viscous coupling, if not completely seized is not far away. I  think the gearbox will be easier than the engine. Certainly less bolts and once separated from the transfer box it a little easier.

Here we go again!!

On 03/02/2017 at 11:18 AM, Bowie69 said:

4 hole flex plate with timing teeth:

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/262230777774?_mwBanner=1

The dowel works for the spacer on an auto setup only, I think.

Looks possible to go on wrong way, but as you say, you could probably change the plug lead order and be fine?

Bowie

If I move the plug leads to try it rather than stripping the whole thing back again is it a case of moving the leads around.

The firing order is 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2 so if I move 1 to position 4 then 8 goes to 3 4 goes to 6 etc?

4 hours ago, elbekko said:

Yes, changing plug lead order works. Just make a really good diagram, because it screws with the mind :lol:

Just looking at it on paper was screwing with my mind. Intend to sit down and have the 4 permutations written down with a diagram so I am moving cables in sync. The worst part is you cannot easily see the coil pack so everything that end is done by touch.

4 hours ago, Bowie69 said:

Got nothing to lose, everything to gain, I guess :) 

That is what I was thinking. It saves taking the engine out on a whim when I don't know for sure that it the issue.

Anyway snowing here so we will not be doing that job today.