Are Richards Chassis the only place for a 109 chassis now?

L19MUD

As above. A quick Google search suggests that no one else doe a Series chassis now......also they seem a lot more expensive than the last time I looked!

Anyone got an unused Series II 109 4cyl pickup chassis they don't need?!

Not sure if they are "the only one" - but AFAIK they are the only one who supplies new replacement chassis for Series.

I'd love to be wrong though.

Please note that the use of a chassis that has alreay a VIN No. stamped in it brings you into a very grey area..

When did Marsland stop doing them? A 109 chassis from Richards is £2k now!

Yes I thought that was the case. Just dreaming of an unused galv one standing in the side of someone's shed they would love to get rid of.

I got one of Marsland's last 109 chassis in 2004.  It was apalling, and after the list of defects I sent them, I suspect they may have been prompted to scrap the jig.  The front dumb iron spring holes were uneven, the space inside the dumbirons too narrow for the spring bushes, the rear suspension shackle outriggers were out of position, the engine mounts and gear box cross member were about 1.5" too far aft, the removable gear box cross member was bolted in place when the chassis was galvanised, welding it in situ, and the tub floor supports were all over the shop, raising the front of the tub 1.75" on the right and 2.25" on the left side.  So be glad you can no longer waste your money on their rubbish.

That's unbelievable!

I guess if I buy this truck I will have to bite the bullet. I guess the question is, is it worth paying £1k for a very straight, totally original 1965 Series 2 LWB with only 1 owner from new but with a Chassis made of cheese. I would do the swap myself so labour cost a non issue.

Bulkhead surprisingly good

Yes , if the bulkhead is good and the vehicle is complete , particularly the dash panel with the correct switches etc . Does it still have the correct axles ? And steering wheel ?

Ooh and some pic's please :)

109 , the perfect number

cheers

Steve b

Can't comment on Marsland - never seen them in the metal`myself. Designa has no prices - but the ones I've seen were good.

I'd love to rebuild a 109 one day - the overlanding started with one of those.

Please take the time and effort to galvanize the bulkhead - makes life so much easier...

All the best !!

Edited by Arjan

2 hours ago, Boris113 said:

Designa-Chassis still advertise 109 chassis on their website. Never used them but it's another option

http://www.designa-chassis.co.uk/109coil.html

That looks like they only do coil suspension chassis to fit a 109? Not sure if you can legitimately declare that as an original spec replacement, even assuming you want to convert to coils?

1 hour ago, L19MUD said:

Steve - yes to all of that!

been sitting some years now so not as shiny as that picture but still straight and chassis still rotten!

bulkhead does need a little work but really not much.

wp_ss_20170208_0002.png

Looks like a really nice project!

will post pics of it when I collect at the weekend. Unfortunately some muppet has dented the front face of the right wing with a digger, other than that its still as per the pic plus some moss!

I was the last person to drive this truck just over 10 years ago and really wanted it to be mine.

Just rang Richards and it is a 8-10 week lead time for delivery. If anyone is thinking of getting a chassis you should get in now.

The bloke on the phone told me that prices will be going up 12%-17% at the end of February due to the cost of materials caused by the weak $ to £ exchange rate. They will hold the price for you if you order now, and not take the money until you collect the chassis.

£2,358 for my chassis - ouch!

4 hours ago, L19MUD said:

... The bloke on the phone told me that prices will be going up 12%-17% at the end of February due to the cost of materials caused by the weak $ to £ exchange rate. They will hold the price for you if you order now, and not take the money until you collect the chassis.
£2,358 for my chassis - ouch!

I'm not promising to make up any shortfall, but I think there is a better than evens chance you could make more money investing in a chassis, installing it under a vehicle, then selling the vehicle, than keeping the money in a bank.

I think, and hope, you will 'take your profit' by using the vehicle, but I feel the principle still applies.

Regards.

7 hours ago, L19MUD said:

The bloke on the phone told me that prices will be going up 12%-17% at the end of February due to the cost of materials caused by the weak $ to £ exchange rate. They will hold the price for you if you order now, and not take the money until you collect the chassis.

A bit weird when they state "Made from British Steel" on their website? What other materials will be affected then? The Zink? I don't get it..