Bandog

Recently unmounted my tow plate from the rear crossmember. I had mounted it with some M12 x 130 stainless, but had a sinking feeling about towing the car trailer and us parting company on the M1 because they are not strong enough.

Am I right, and should I get some grade 10 bolts to make double sure. Or are the stainless ones adequate? 

I am leaning towards getting some grade 10 high tensile, and appropriate nuts. 

Any input greatly appreciated thanks 

Your standard 8.8 grade should be sufficient usually M16 I think. 8.8 is often considered "high tensile" in automotive circles, as coming from offshore engineering side that's often the lowest of the "high tensile" group.

In replace of "structural" bolts on a truck I'd use a grade 80 Stainless steel bolt which pretty much equates to an 8.8 bzp steel bolt.

You have to remember the higher the tensile strength the less tough the material is, I'd argue you need a bit of both for tow linkages duew to the dynamic loading so would opt for 8.8's or equivalent.

Yeah, 8.8 are standard bolts for tow hitches, no need for anything more at all.

In fact, under stress, 12.9 is more brittle and less stretch, so could break where an 8.8 would just deform a little.

Having said that, I doubt it will cause you any problems unless you do silly things with it :)

In short, for bolting anything to the outside or a LR 8.8 is more than enough, and actually preferable at times.

23 hours ago, Bowie69 said:

In fact, under stress, 12.9 is more brittle and less stretch, so could break where an 8.8 would just deform a little.

Having said that, I doubt it will cause you any problems unless you do silly things with it :)

In short, for bolting anything to the outside or a LR 8.8 is more than enough, and actually preferable at times.

Just use the old girl for towing a GKN rapier trailer, usually overloaded with logs, occasional bit of muddy stuff getting in, around and out of the wood yard but nothing serious.

I thought the number referred to the tensile strength of the bolt as in the amount of load it could take, in tension, before catastrophic failure?

On 2/11/2017 at 5:54 PM, Bowie69 said:

I think the idea is while the higher grades are not as "stretchy", this occurs when a lower grade would have failed already. I realise that this could turn into another highly technical and out-of-control thread but that's the principle I've worked on, so, with my mostly-Imperial-bolted car, Grade 5 is used for most things and Grade 8 for the bullbar and so on.