If you value this forum's future please support us
western

intermittent clutch after replacement

2 hours ago, Oakmaster said:

You are correct - there was a thread somewhere (i thought on here but I cant find it) - I also looked at the RS components sensor, but it was not a like for like replacement - in fact it was quite different.  Im slightly surprised that one of the smarter people on here, haven't made some sort of adaptor for it. 

I'll try to track down the Sheffield place

thanks 

B

Looking at the link Ralph has posted, it would only be a case of splicing wires? Cut off the original connector and splice the ends of the new one to the existing wiring?

• Like 1

See you got it sorted Ralph but just in case others read with the same prob ......... I also had this problem after a new clutch went in (replaced every thing uprated fork, metal bearing, slave cylinder, master etc etc) wasn't slipping bad but noticed it when put your foot down......No idea what it was but after a week or so it sorted its self out and been fine ever since (that was 2 - 3 year ago)......and I had to fit the new one due to a melted thrust bearing (I went LUK clutch)

Edited by sighnbox

2 hours ago, sighnbox said:

See you got it sorted Ralph but just in case others read with the same prob ......... I also had this problem after a new clutch went in (replaced every thing uprated fork, metal bearing, slave cylinder, master etc etc) wasn't slipping bad but noticed it when put your foot down......No idea what it was but after a week or so it sorted its self out and been fine ever since (that was 2 - 3 year ago)......and I had to fit the new one due to a melted thrust bearing (I went LUK clutch)

Sounds like it was bedding in in your case. Its the same process as bedding in new brakes. 

20 hours ago, reb78 said:

Looking at the link Ralph has posted, it would only be a case of splicing wires? Cut off the original connector and splice the ends of the new one to the existing wiring?

Im not so sure - I thought that they were different threads and so-on - not sure if they electronically compatible?  thats the great thing about Forums like this, eventually you will find somebody who does know? 

Thanks 

58 minutes ago, Oakmaster said:

Im not so sure - I thought that they were different threads and so-on - not sure if they electronically compatible?  thats the great thing about Forums like this, eventually you will find somebody who does know? 

Thanks 

I don't know about the thread. If I ever need one though, I will risk the RS part in the hope it will fit. 

In this thread, it says the threads are different: 

17 minutes ago, Bowie69 said:

In this thread, it says the threads are different: 

Yes - the problem is its ME saying it in that thread 

Doh :)

On another note, the old dolomite set up for this OD was to have a switch on top of the gearbox selector, which only enabled the OD in third and fourth.

I'm sure a creative chap could rig up a microswitch with a flexible wand on it to only allow it in 3,4,5 easily enough? That way you don't even need a speed sensor, only a £1 switch and a bit of fab!

Or, if it was only reverse you were worried about, then hook it up to the reverse light switch via relay.

1 hour ago, Bowie69 said:

Or, if it was only reverse you were worried about, then hook it up to the reverse light switch via relay.

This is the easiest solution. Apparently the GKN doesn't like the likely high torque in 1st and 2nd and will break if you engage in reverse hence 30mph is thought to avoid all of those conditions (which is what the speed sensor is roughly set to). I guess that doesn't work in low range though. 

2 hours ago, Bowie69 said:

On another note, the old dolomite set up for this OD was to have a switch on top of the gearbox selector, which only enabled the OD in third and fourth.

Oh that takes me back! I'd only just passed my test and got to drive my future in-laws' Triumph 2500 with the OD switch on the gearstick knob. It was a great way to drive. They later had a Dolomite Sprint but I don't remember if it had OD. Most of the time I was simply trying to keep it under control!

2 hours ago, reb78 said:

This is the easiest solution. Apparently the GKN doesn't like the likely high torque in 1st and 2nd and will break if you engage in reverse hence 30mph is thought to avoid all of those conditions (which is what the speed sensor is roughly set to). I guess that doesn't work in low range though. 

Then, with another relay, use the hi low switch on the lt230 as well.

Still, you could easily make something to work against the selector.

Hmmm. Yep. That'd work too (plus give a use for the hi lo switch on my transfer box!)