V8 end of life do you recomend TD5/99-01 as a transplant for D1

94Discovery

Hello Gents

My V8 is dying and I am looking for a replacement engine and I am considering a td5 from the year 99 to 01 as I've read that they are the best ,

do you recommend a vendor that sells a TD5  front clip?

I am considering this engine for fuel economies/long distance travel for expedition.

thank you

Naji M.

Given your location I'd question whether the TD5 is worth it - how bad are gas prices, how common are TD5's / easy to get parts for? How bad is your V8 that it can't be revived or simply replaced? The TD5 isn't exactly a Prius in terms of fuel savings compared to a V8 in good nick.

If you were over here I'd say just buy a complete vehicle as then you can drive it before you buy & know it's all good.

Also, well worth working out the total cost to change Vs how many (tens of) thousands of miles you have to drive before it pays for itself.

Even though the TD5 is a lovely smooth running engine (for a diesel) I would still rather fit a 200/300tdi, much simpler and better mileage (especially the 200 can get incredible mileage) But that said if TD5s are common in your neck of the woods and TDI's are scarce I'd choose the TD5.

But again, why not still V8?

Having had a V8 and a Tdi in the same vehicle. I went back to the V8. Yes the 300Tdi gave me twice the MPG of a V8 but by comparison it was horrible. The V8 may not be particularly powerful but it is a far more relaxed and relaxing engine to be sat behind. I also tried a D2 with a TD5 and a slush box. It felt very sluggish by comparison, or at least it seemed to need a lot of encouragement to make it go

1 hour ago, FridgeFreezer said:

Given your location I'd question whether the TD5 is worth it - how bad are gas prices, how common are TD5's / easy to get parts for? How bad is your V8 that it can't be revived or simply replaced? The TD5 isn't exactly a Prius in terms of fuel savings compared to a V8 in good nick.

If you were over here I'd say just buy a complete vehicle as then you can drive it before you buy & know it's all good.

Also, well worth working out the total cost to change Vs how many (tens of) thousands of miles you have to drive before it pays for itself.

no td5 in this part of the world :( 

I have another V8 in good condition but with 22ltr/100kms  is a bit too much ,I am running on 33km2 was aiming at something in 10lts/100 I might be dreaming with the td5 but I have no experience in diesel td5 not 300tdi ,

as for the price of fuel it is not the issue ,it is all the extra weight that could be saved for long travels ,easier on the suspension, if I want a 1000km2 tank I need a 250ltrs tank more space more weight  ,that is an extra 150kg that I can install a water tank instead ,I can loose weight but still :).

1 hour ago, Soren Frimodt said:

Even though the TD5 is a lovely smooth running engine (for a diesel) I would still rather fit a 200/300tdi, much simpler and better mileage (especially the 200 can get incredible mileage) But that said if TD5s are common in your neck of the woods and TDI's are scarce I'd choose the TD5.

But again, why not still V8?

I have an auto transmission and I want to keep it ,I drove a disco with an r380 and I loved how it drive like a normal car ,but offroad I like the control of an auto and the zf22 they r tough ,coupled with a 300tdi I think I would rather stay home :)

If the difference in weight between a TD5 and a V8 is 143 Kg. If you stayed with the V8 you would be able to carry an additional  170 litres of fuel before you made up the weight difference, even at an off road consumption of say 2.5 kilometres/litre that is 425 off road kilometres worth of additional fuel you could carry. Plus you would be saving yourself all the expense of the conversion.

When I changed from V8 to Tdi, even using a 2nd hand engine, by the time I had changed the input shaft of the gearbox, the radiator, fitted an intercooler, changed the fuel piping, fuel pump, added a diesel filter, diesel sedimentor, changed the PS box, the exhaust, engine mountings (which involved cutting the existing mounting brackets off the chassis and welding new mountings on,) gearbox mountings, prop  shafts and numerous other smaller components I still ended up with a bill just shy of $10,600 Canadian at today's exchange rate. Yes I used genuine Land Rover components so the bill could be reduced by using pattern or generic parts.

Then you have to consider sourcing all the electronics that go with the TD5 and the removal of all those associated with the V8

Edited by neil110

16 hours ago, 94Discovery said:

no td5 in this part of the world :(

Then it's a really bad idea. You'll be driving a unicorn. Fit something locally available or just plop another RV8 back in, unless you're commuting huge distances all the time the cost of doing the engine swap will obliterate the entire lifetime of fuel savings.

Off the top of my head, buying a worthwhile (as in guaranteed good) TD5 + gearbox + ECU + loom from anyone willing to ship it to Canada, plus actually shipping the thing, is going to cost you the thick end of $4000 Canadian. Then you've got to fit the damn thing in a vehicle which it wasn't designed to fit.

Your figures: 22l/100km = 13mpg which is terrible. You should be able to coax 17mpg (16.6l) from a Rover V8. On average you might get 22-25mpg (12.8 - 11.3l) from a TD5 which is not a huge saving.

Looking at Canadian gas prices ($1.04/l) and assuming you want to recoup $4000 on the conversion to break even, you've got to drive an extra 30,000 miles before you've saved a penny.

I'd sort out a decent Rover V8 to put in and perhaps work on the gearing if you've got big tyres.

• Like 1

I was going to reply, because I lived in Canada once so I know it's easy to get misty-eyed over the variety of engines available outside of North America, but you have in fact a good set-up already. A common, easily-replaced engine, with plenty of places to get parts. And it sounds like all engines should. (Even, in a perfect world, cement mixers and lawn mowers.) 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, FridgeFreezer said:

Then it's a really bad idea. You'll be driving a unicorn. Fit something locally available or just plop another RV8 back in, unless you're commuting huge distances all the time the cost of doing the engine swap will obliterate the entire lifetime of fuel savings.

Off the top of my head, buying a worthwhile (as in guaranteed good) TD5 + gearbox + ECU + loom from anyone willing to ship it to Canada, plus actually shipping the thing, is going to cost you the thick end of $4000 Canadian. Then you've got to fit the damn thing in a vehicle which it wasn't designed to fit.

Your figures: 22l/100km = 13mpg which is terrible. You should be able to coax 17mpg (16.6l) from a Rover V8. On average you might get 22-25mpg (12.8 - 11.3l) from a TD5 which is not a huge saving.

Looking at Canadian gas prices ($1.04/l) and assuming you want to recoup $4000 on the conversion to break even, you've got to drive an extra 30,000 miles before you've saved a penny.

I'd sort out a decent Rover V8 to put in and perhaps work on the gearing if you've got big tyres.

very well put I like your reasoning ,I think for now I will play with gearing and change the engine ,and I have an eye on a Mercedes engine Om606 that have the same weight to the v8 and the same power .

Thank you all for you input big thumb up .:) 

At the moment in Europe, or it may just be UK. There is a body of opinion which regards the emissions from diesel engines as a pollutant which is killing people. Paris has enacted a ban on vehicles over (I think) 10 years old from entering the city between 0800 and 2000. London has a Low emissions zone (coupled with large fines for those who enter it in an excluded vehicle) and is suggesting banning all diesel vehicles from the city at some point in the future. Allegedly there is a company re-engineering the London black cab to run on a petrol engine. 

How soon all of this will result in the disappearance of Diesel engined vehicles from the roads, who knows? I suspect a lot more vehicles will be taken off the road as a result of future increases in the price of oil than by legislation.

Edited by neil110

35 minutes ago, 94Discovery said:

Sorry did I miss something?

The VW emissions scandal has woken people up to the fact that (shock horror) with the loopholes in the emissions tests, all these seemingly low-emissions cars they've been building for the last decade are not as clean as they thought, and it's explained why pollution in cities is mysteriously a lot higher than they predicted despite being full of supposedly "clean" vehicles.

Diesels are worse for it and are falling out of favour a bit as they now look dirtier then they used to, and all the fudges they use to make them appear clean have been found out (or may be rendered far less practical if they have to actually use them ALL the time rather than only when they're on test!). Depending on how the backlash pans out and what sort of half-assed knee-jerk regulation comes out of it, future diesels may well get penalised more heavily and/or the push towards diesel may reverse. TBH none of it is likely to affect old cars unless you're travelling to a capital city that has its own regulations such as London with its Low Emission Zone.

On 16/02/2017 at 11:23 AM, 94Discovery said:

very well put I like your reasoning ,I think for now I will play with gearing and change the engine ,and I have an eye on a Mercedes engine Om606 that have the same weight to the v8 and the same power .

Thank you all for you input big thumb up .:) 

The OM606 is heavier than a V8.... its just a bit heavier than a tdi.