300 TDI to daihatsu fourtrak gearbox

Hi. I have a trialer with a na 2.8 diahatsu engine and f50 gearbox. The engine and box combo is quite short and works well with the 80" wheelbase. I am finding it a bit underpowered and as I have a 300 TDI engine  I wondered about the possibility of mating it to the f50 gearboxto the 300 TDI to keep the engine / gearbox length down. I know diahatsu to series was a common conversion back in the day, but has anybody done it land rover engine to diahatsu gearbox?

Thanks 

James

A quick Google images search suggests it shouldn't be a particularly complicated job. 

$_1.JPG

Looking at the back of the Daihatsu engine the flywheel and clutch aren't enclosed as on the Tdi, which makes things simpler. 

Keeping the Daihatsu clutch makes sense, whilst drilling a Tdi flywheel to suit it is easy enough. 

After that, a plate that will bolt to the back of the engine -and support the starter- that's also been drilled for the Daihatsu box (don't forget the locating dowels) is all you need. 

The one critical dimension for things to work correctly is the height of the drive face of the flywheel from the gearbox mating face. There's a bit of leeway provided everything is flat and parallel, but it helps to be spot on.