Garage floor coating

landyawd

Hi all, finally getting my new garage built! Exciting times to say the least it's been a long time coming.

the designs are finished however I am unsure on the flooring options.

my old garage had a painted floor which worked well however did start to peel after about a year.

has anyone tried using the garage rubber floor tiles I keep seeing on the internet, one company was duramat......... Just not sure how good these floors types are not only parking but jacking a vehicle, small oil spills etc....

My only problem is the Landy will be in there along with a car, the car is not likely to be moved much hence the paint peeled in the last garage, I think the tyres stuck themselves to the floor ?

What would you guys go for paint or rubber tiles?

Decent floor paint would surely be better than rubber tiles, less likely to move about or deform which is rather important when jacking vehicles etc. as alluded to above.

Ensure the slab has a damp proof course underneath - if it doesn't you'll get damp coming up and no coating will stick for any length of time. You'll also need to adhere to the instructions regarding letting the concrete cure sufficiently before applying the coating.

I use the 2 part stuff from firwood at work, it comes with a grit which you can mix in optionally for grip. The floors at work are power floated and sealed and the forklifts slid like crazy when they came in from outside with wet wheels so I put a square in front of each door. I used the etch cleaner and the degrease then rolled it on. Been down a few years now with the forklifts turning on it and dry steering and it's still pretty much all there.

The original paint I used was simple that a paint, I think I will go with the epoxy based type as you all mention above.

after looking in more detail at the floor tiles I think it's best to give them a miss, it seems there are issues with them deforming under load (such as jacking or axle stands....) 

thanks for or the info as always, i will be placing an order shortly ?

The floor of my workshop is just any old 'farm concrete' it's not great but the paint is holding up great so far. It's Leyland trade floor paint, the first coat mixed 50/50 with white spirit so it soaked in nicely. Only damage is where I had some tape stuck to it or where I've dropped something really heavy. 

Floor paints are a waste of time in my experience. I spent ages with my last new-build garage, left the floor for 6 months as per instructions, then got all the dust out of it, put some PVA bond stuff on that was supposed to be for exactly the job I was doing and then the top coat, and it was all coming off within six months. The current garage I just left as bare concrete. The other option to seal it effectively just spill a load of stuff you don't want to spill on the floor, like a drum of of gloss paint, it will stay there forever.

• Like 1