R380 Transfer lever - Defender vs Disco

I've recently bought an X-Eng/Foundry Gear lock for my 200tdi/R380 One Ten but can't fit it.

I've spoken to them about the issue and they say that the transfer lever is bent and this is what is causing the issue. Looking at it, it looks normal to me but what do I know (very very little)... So I've spoken to someone today who says I may have a disco box in there and not a Defender one. 

Is it possible to tell from the picture if I have a Disco or Defender box and is the lever "normal"?

Thanks,

Heds

r380.jpg

Not sure of the differences between Defender and Disco transfer boxes but a Defender transfer box lever is normally straight, or at least the ones I've seen are. 

Off topic but whats the device surrounding your handbrake lever?

1 hour ago, Boris113 said:

Not sure of the differences between Defender and Disco transfer boxes but a Defender transfer box lever is normally straight, or at least the ones I've seen are. 

Off topic but whats the device surrounding your handbrake lever?

Looks like a handbrake lock with a pin to stop the handbrake dropping forward when pushed in.

Thanks for the replies. Looks like I either need to forget this method of security or purchase and fit another lever. I'll look into how much of a faff this is and how much it will cost me.

And Boris, that's a Jetlock. It locks the handbrake preventing use. I know the cable could be cut negating its protection but it's part of a layered approach and is quite visible. Hopefully the wee sh1tes see it and walk on.

Hedley, I'd get another transfer lever if it were me. The gearbox lever lock is so easy to use that I just put it on whenever I get out of the 90, in fact I usually do it with one hand as well. Be a shame not to have another layer of high viz security for the sake of an easily replaced lever.

HTH

Mo

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Bowie69 said:

Is it bent for cubby box clearance?

Possibly, I might only find out once I've changed it over...

On 22/02/2017 at 7:12 PM, Mo Murphy said:

Hedley, I'd get another transfer lever if it were me. The gearbox lever lock is so easy to use that I just put it on whenever I get out of the 90, in fact I usually do it with one hand as well. Be a shame not to have another layer of high viz security for the sake of an easily replaced lever.

HTH

Mo

Thanks Mo.

You are right. I'm just loathed to work on the car just now as it is so cold out there... But I need to man up and do it. As you say, another layer of hiviz security is worth the effort.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 26/02/2017 at 2:52 PM, landroversforever said:

I've got a lever and housing here that's a bit rough but you're welcome to it Hedley?

Hi Ross,

Only just spotted your reply, sorry. 

I'm going to try bending mine back into shape as soon as it stops snowing/raining but if that doesn't work, I may well take you up on your kind offer.

Thanks,

Heds

• 1 year later...

Holy thread resurrection... 

I'm in the process of revisiting this job (and yes I know this was from March 2017. Me bad).

I have tried straightening the lever without any luck so will replace.

But, FYI, I have seen an angled lever in the parts catalogue and have attached a screenshot of it here.

Transfer-box-01.jpg

Cheers Ralph.

I managed to get a complete brand new lever housing from Ebay for not far off the price of a lever so I'm happy with that.

Looking forward to fitting it and finishing off a job I started over a year ago.