Electronic winch

Bandog

Personally I would go ep9 or tds for the money you won't beat them. I believe the land rover chassis isn't rated for any more than 9000lbs and the higher rated often are only geared down from 9000lbs to get the higher rating thus slower. I had an ep9 on my tomcat and have one in the ibex. I would also only use 11mm plasma I have a 9 year old plasma on the fairey 525.

Mike

• Like 1

EP9, T Max Outback, TDS (Both Champion and Goldfish), Warn M8000, Warn XD9000, Superwinch Talon, Tiger Shark and X9. EP's are copies of the Come Up range - these are very good and generally cheaper second hand. These two Warn's are good but when you take them apart you realise just how much of a marketing job Warn is

The best is the X9. It's relatively crude - no external brake, so you have to know what you are doing; but it's nails hard, beautifully built and parts are ALL available form Tavistock (or First Four Off Road) and it's low geared compared to the rest in it's weight range, so it will pull all day and night.

The very best is anything from RED but these are so much money

The cheap copies of the T Max are actually okay - so Winch Master, GWS, GEW etc. They just need more maintenance - lots more

ALL winches need maintaining though; and decent solenoids, decent wiring, decent switch gear

A 9k winch is fine. Learn to use it. Get taught, get competent. Learn about pulley blocks and proper angles of pull. Also start with steel wire rope so you know what you are doing, before you get nice easy string

I don't go over 10mm - no point. Marlow stuff is okay; so is British Ropes (very resistant to sun light deterioration)

I'm swapping a EP9 on to my Disco on Saturday. The X9 is off to a new home and I've got my ex Walford G10 back. It's due for a mahoosive rebuild. Change the bearings, re machine the chassis to take something better, change the grease-ways so they work. Stainless tie bars. Recon gearbox etc. When that's done It'll go on the Disco

What I like to call the G10 XL Plus De Lux

Ex Walford winch - mullered

New bearings, new brake, replacement gearbox (S9000 late model), TDS motor (long armature), new bolts/fixings, bored out grease ways with new nipples (soon to be upgraded to long tube grease nipples, new clutch, old string...

No. Firstly it's a Warn; secondly it's only got a max pull rating of 1,200lbs

Better to just get spendy, shop around and buy a TDS - either Goldfish or Champion (same thing, different sticker) 9500

Or become a winch nut and buy old winches to do up

Alternatively, if you don't actually need one then don't buy it

On 27/02/2017 at 6:40 AM, honitonhobbit said:

ALL winches need maintaining though; and decent solenoids, decent wiring, decent switch gear

Electric winches maybe. I have successfully ignored my Milemarker for about ten years, other than when I need it to pull something with it. Only thing I have done is to take off the mount and clean it up and respray it about half way through, the same needs doing again now.

• Like 1

I'm not being difficult, just pointing out that people with electric winches often seem to spend quite a lot of time fixing them, whereas I have grown used to not worrying at all about whether the MM will work regardless of how long it is since I last used it. I used to have an 8274 before that and on several occasions experienced the dreaded "click - nothing" when I needed it to work. Carry a hammer :)

As an aside, if I was buying a new winch now, I'd probably get a Goldfish, as I imported a few for customers in my old job and they seemed pretty good.

Hmm, I have my TDS with a bow motor on it between the rails of an RRC... Just had to relieve the winch mount where the Allen bolt goes in the back of the motor. 

It then angles into position quite easily.

1 hour ago, honitonhobbit said:

I Like the TDS. It's a great winch. It's only drawback is it's length - you can't fit it between the chassis rails, it has to go on top.

My TDS fitted (only just) between the chassis legs, even with a 6mm plate on the inside of each leg.

Maybe I should have gone into more detail. The majority of standard winch bumpers that site the winch between the dumb irons have a set (or sets) of 'offset to centre' holes (not an ARB bumper though). So a TDS or an EP won't fit unless you re-drill the holes. This can also cause issues with the 'letter box' which is, in the case of this type of winch bumper, also offset (see pictures of the blue disco above). This can necessitate the 'cutting and filling of the winch bumper 'letter box' slot