Scottish aviation "Miniartic"

Arjan

As this group is know for their immeasurable knowledge :P about anything Land Rover - and more - related, this could be seen as a test.

2017-02-26%20%20Miniartic%20van%20traile

Who can tell me more about his trailer  ?

A friend in Holland has 2 smaller ones for use behind Morris Minors Pick Ups..

This one, however, seems a bit bigger, judging by the 109" it sits behind.

...... and yes, it seems I have bought one :blush:

Edited by Arjan
  • Like 2

Thanks for the quick replies !!

These trailers were built by "Scottish Aviation" in the '60's for use both behind Morris Minor & Mini's in a somewhat smaller version. With a friend in Holland, we have 2 of those. People who've been to the Dorset Steam Fair may have seen them - one is in period sign writing.

This is the project I have just bought......

Some years ago I'd simply go to the UK, hook it behind the 109"and see what happens (Oh yes... I have been on the side of the M1 with the police...) but this time I'll go and use the trailer to load it up as there seems to be nothing left of the "chassis"..

Loading is going to be interesting.....

Project? What are you going to do with it?

1 - Save it from the crusher at a scrapper's place as that was to happen next week (wonder why a Dutchman in France needs to do this, but alas..)

2 - There seems to be, looking at pics I just received, nothing left of the chassis / frame so loading it on the trailer will be a delicate operation to keep the aluminium straight..

3 - 800 miles to bring it here is going to be interesting...

4 - When funds & time are there, frame will be rebuild and a 109" sought... :wub:

5 - Show the thing - they are very, very rare..

Edited by Arjan
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, Arjan said:

Project? What are you going to do with it?

1 - Save it from the crusher at a scrapper's place as that was to happen next week (wonder why a Dutchman in France needs to do this, but alas)

Only a Dutchman in France is daft enough to take on a project such as this. Good luck looks interesting though.

Mike

• Like 2

Well.... I did fit Mazda's in RRC's, a ZF & Mazda in a 110 CSW and rebuild a Series III  Cherry Picker so this is a good one to do some serious welding...

You guys wanna see a pic of the "floor".....?

Edited by Arjan
  • Like 2

Yes - half of that is Mine..Dutch "old" commercial plates on the Morris that belongs to a very good friend of mine.

Runs on LPG - weird rear body.

On the side, just behind the door, you can see his workshop logo.

He 's coming this weekend with me to collect the big brother....

• Like 3

..... not. My vote is that the ebay ad is an old luton style horse box originally. Love the mini artic concept though and I think it has modern applications but because it falls between legislations it never seems popular. ..... Which means I'll have to build one as I have never seen one second hand.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes - there is 2 of us..

Poor, poor Ivo is a life long suffering friend who owns wirh me the smaller Morris Minor version ones..

We'll meet in Calais, do the Raid and part ways again when back in France.

4 hours ago, Arjan said:

2,900 kms (or 1,860 miles in your money) in 72 hrs. with a 3-axle trailer to collect the remains of the Scottish Aviation Artic Trailer, some airplane seats for the new conference rooms and a pair of radar domes to protect the satellite uplinks against the elements...

Sounds like an adventure alright...and a fairly short trip by your standards.

Buying from ebay, something that's falling apart and in another country. For most people this would bear the hallmarks of a drunken night in with the computer. Pretty sure you aren't most people though Arjan.

• Like 1

Many thanks !!

Obviously, many pics will be taken and the alarm sounded if need be. In the old days, one of the LR magazines would love to have a write up - but as this is real people doing real trips....

I'm taking the iPad with me so we should have some form of Internet.. I think. IF it works.

The Brownchurch & Hardshell Roof Tent are back on again after their hibernate.. :blush:

Ivo has to sleep somewhere I guess..

Tomorrow some oil & grease work, a meeting with a client and French Customs and we're all set for departure Saturday.