D1 V8 died, possibly the ECU. How to confirm please

James NZ

Hi all,

after spending most of the christmas holidays refreshing my son's D1 he finally got to take it away for Waitangi Weekend (New Zealand Day) up the Godley Valley and glaciers. All went well until the trip home which ended up with him on a tow rope. So I've started to have a look and have done -

checked for spark = yes,

changed the plugs cos they were due for new ones

compression check out of curiosity, compressions fine.

Checked fuel and main relay, they work.

Pulled the ECU out and started diagnostics on that using the downloaded Fuel Injection System tests which is for the Range Rover. Got to test procedure 3 which is to check the main relay operation and it failed. Result expected is battery volts, I got 1.9volts. Which is closer to zero than 12 volts plus so it said to proceed to test 4.

Test 4, Fault Diagnosis Main relay circuits. Test 4/A Voltmeter reading of battery volts = ok. If ok suspect ECU.

Not wanting to think the ECU had packed up I went through the rest of the tests up to and including procedure 17, everything checked ok.Procedure 18 testing fuel pump pressure had previously been done with a result of 43 PSI.

So the big question is,is the ECU dead and is there a test procedure to check it. Reading the above, do you think I may have missed something?

Should the engine at least fire if I was to spray starter fluid into the intake as I do have a spark?

Any help would be great.

Thanks, James NZ

IMG1.jpg

IMG2.jpg

I'm no expert in these matters but a good way to test is by substitution.  I'm pretty sure I have an ECU for one of these (assuming 3.9 V8?) in my shed.  If you pay postage (I'm not a rich man, sorry) I'll send it down for you to try.  Send me a private message if you are interested.  I'm in the lower North Island.