Felxible grease nipple pipes

I need to access to inaccessible grease nipples on my winch. I'm aware in the old colonies it is possible to buy flexible pipes to extend grease nipples to more accessible places. However I am unable to find such a thing here in the motherland.  Any suggestions?

http://www.lubecontrol.com.au/more-lubrication/remote-greasing-equipment/ like this but in the UK

Edited by honitonhobbit

Go to somewhere like Pirtek and ask them to make up a short flexible hose with a 1/4" male fitting on one end (to screw into a grease nipple sized hole) and a 1/4" female on the other end (to screw a standard grease nipple into)?

I just use standard pneumatic fittings and push fit pipe, I've never found the pressure too high to pop them apart, they're rated at 10 bar.

On the machines at work if it's something that needs a constant supply of grease I use these for bearings or a centralised lubrication system for slides.

http://www.directindustry.com/prod/skf-maintenance-lubrication-products/product-18813-215997.html

Edited by Cynic-al
  • Like 1

You set them between 1 month and 12 month and that's roughly how long they last but obviously if the grease can't escape then it just sort of sits there under pressure. I guess it depends how well sealed the housing is and how runny the grease gets in use. The only caution I would give is I've just changed a £300 ball screw nut on a machine that had one on, it had been on about 7 years. It turns out they lose pressure and stop pumping the grease in after a certain time which is why they have a use by date :wacko: They're also better fitted close to the bearing as if they have to get the grease down long thin pipes the resistance eventually overcomes the pressure in the cartridge, about 5 bar I think?

They're about £20 each and are probably a bit overkill if you don't use it very often. They're meant for things like conveyors where health and safety don't like people climbing over them every day with grease guns.

On 10/03/2017 at 10:37 AM, Cynic-al said:

I just use standard pneumatic fittings and push fit pipe, I've never found the pressure too high to pop them apart, they're rated at 10 bar.

That's always been my solution too.  The (nylon, not Polypropylene) hoses (up to 10mm) seem to handle 70 Bar without bursting and 6mm to at least 100 Bar.  Very low cost.  Very easy.  Suboptimal on prop-shafts!

6mm OD 4mm bore seems good for runs up to 1m  8 or 10mm for anything longer - there is a lot of viscose drag in the pipes.  They can handle the pressure but it will be desperately slow!  You can make your own auto greaser by half filling a reservoir with grease then pressurising it with air.  Works very well so long as you keep an eye on the grease level.  Likewise you can use a pneumatic cylinder.  Fill the blind end with grease and fit a big spring in the rod end to push the piston down.  When the rod stops sticking out of the end - it's time to refill.

Si