Petrol engine conversion

GBMUD

8 minutes ago, FridgeFreezer said:

The Jaaag X-Type I eventually bought for half the price claimed 45mpg (2.2D, a-la Puma/Transit) and, spending its life on the motorway at 70mph plus VAT it's currently managing 43mpg.

Yes, 'er brother has the 2.2 6sp manual and it seems to run on fresh air!

I had thought of putting a 2.5 / 2.25 petrol back into my 90 as its a very early one and might be nice if it were original(ish) - I do about 1000 miles a year so consumption isnt realy a consideration.... I have struggled to find an engine, I suspect there are a few laying in sheds 'in case' and lots went when the scrap metal price was high.

23 hours ago, honitonhobbit said:

The Jeep 2.5 four banger is actually very good

I think the 4.0 6 pot Jeep (AMC) Engine is worth mentioning too, I had an XJ with the 4.0HO (197bhp) And I only bought it to thrash it offroad, but had it registered for about a month and absolutely abused it on the the road! (Rolling burnouts from the lights and on the on-ramp etc) And simply could not get it under 6,8km/l (19,2mpg) and with a more moddest driving it was easily over 9 km/l (25,4mpg) Not bad for something with the power and low down torque of a RV8. Only downsides are size (lenght) and weight

This might be of interest.

5. THE CHANCELLOR QUIETLY DUCKED ACTING ON THE ENVIRONMENT

With the nation’s cities gasping for clean air and ever-louder calls for politicians to act on dirty transport, the Chancellor had been widely expected to announce a new scrappage scheme for diesel cars – but he didn’t.

Pollution from traffic is the biggest factor in the 40,000 early deaths in the UK every year from dirty air, of which diesel vehicles are the biggest culprit.  New research shows that a scheme to incentivise trading in dirty diesel cars for cleaner new models would be popular and successful, as well has helping support the Government’s broader industrial push to be a global hub for making low-emission cars.  But the Budget documents deferred the decision on the scheme until later in the year, and Mr Hammond made no mention of the country’s air pollution crisis at all.

This Budget had little time for anything environmental. Previous promises that it would see an announcement of post-Brexit subsidy plans for renewable energy were also ducked. Yet there was the usual succour for the country’s fossil fuel producers, already basking in the “unprecedented support” of successive Budgets. This time, they will help design a tax change that will encourage smaller companies to wring every last drop of oil from the UK’s declining North Sea – despite the Government admitting most of the world’s fossil fuels will need to be left in the ground.

54 minutes ago, neil110 said:

This might be of interest.

5. THE CHANCELLOR QUIETLY DUCKED ACTING ON THE ENVIRONMENT

With the nation’s cities gasping for clean air and ever-louder calls for politicians to act on dirty transport, the Chancellor had been widely expected to announce a new scrappage scheme for diesel cars – but he didn’t.

Pollution from traffic is the biggest factor in the 40,000 early deaths in the UK every year from dirty air, of which diesel vehicles are the biggest culprit.  New research shows that a scheme to incentivise trading in dirty diesel cars for cleaner new models would be popular and successful, as well has helping support the Government’s broader industrial push to be a global hub for making low-emission cars.  But the Budget documents deferred the decision on the scheme until later in the year, and Mr Hammond made no mention of the country’s air pollution crisis at all.

This Budget had little time for anything environmental. Previous promises that it would see an announcement of post-Brexit subsidy plans for renewable energy were also ducked. Yet there was the usual succour for the country’s fossil fuel producers, already basking in the “unprecedented support” of successive Budgets. This time, they will help design a tax change that will encourage smaller companies to wring every last drop of oil from the UK’s declining North Sea – despite the Government admitting most of the world’s fossil fuels will need to be left in the ground.

Well, Philip hammond is a used car sales man after all..

Daan

I know it's a vapour build at the moment, but I'd probably wait and see what the government decide - currently the London ULEZ will mean you have to pay an extra tenner a day in the congestion charge zone if your vehicle isn't euro 6 compliant if it's a diesel, or euro 4 for petrol cars. It may end up that older petrol cars get hammered by this as well :( 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, =jon= said:

I know it's a vapour build at the moment, but I'd probably wait and see what the government decide - currently the London ULEZ will mean you have to pay an extra tenner a day in the congestion charge zone if your vehicle isn't euro 6 compliant if it's a diesel, or euro 4 for petrol cars. It may end up that older petrol cars get hammered by this as well :( 

Voice of reason for sure.. until 'we' know what the press and environmental pressure groups railroad through by bullying witless politicians there isn't a lot to be done with confidence.

I was hoping that there would be some indication which way this was going to go too............

I have been pondering on which way to go with my currently engineless 90 for a year or more. I already have both engines............a BMW M57 diesel, and a Lexus 1UZ-FE petrol and I still don't know what to do for the best.......................:unsure:

20 hours ago, Daan said:

These guys fit mpi engines to defenders. They claim 136 hp in standard form and give the option of turbocharging as well. Not a bad solution I think:

https://www.facebook.com/BexTechniek

Daan

Having driven the Discovery MPI I wouldn't be rushing to put one of these into a Defender. It was absolutely gutless at the bottom end and needed to be revved quite hard to wring any sort of motion out of the vehicle. Plus (from memory) weren't Land Rover somewhat averse to the MPI discovery being used as a towing vehicle?

2 hours ago, neil110 said:

Having driven the Discovery MPI I wouldn't be rushing to put one of these into a Defender. It was absolutely gutless at the bottom end and needed to be revved quite hard to wring any sort of motion out of the vehicle. Plus (from memory) weren't Land Rover somewhat averse to the MPI discovery being used as a towing vehicle?

I think it all depends on fuel consumption: Off course a V8 would be better, but who can afford to run it. It would be interesting to get the figures for an MPI.

Also, it appears LPG has died a quiet death. Could this mean LPG will be back on the table?

Daan

28 minutes ago, Daan said:

I think it all depends on fuel consumption: Off course a V8 would be better, but who can afford to run it. It would be interesting to get the figures for an MPI.

Also, it appears LPG has died a quiet death. Could this mean LPG will be back on the table?

Daan

A colleague bought a Subaru of some description (forester I think) with the dual fuel option because it wouldn't be charged congestion charge to enter London. From memory there was a significant premium for buying the dual fuel version. He was spitting mad, just a couple of months after purchase, when either Ken or Bojo changed their mind and decided they would charge LPG powered vehicles

Having owned (but sadly just sold an Mpi Disco) I would politely disagree with Neil 110. A standard Mpi is a cracking motor. Quick, quiet and relatively frugal. But it's not a tow barge. It's ideal for a family of four, two dogs and all the luggage on 700 mile motorway trips at 75+mph giving 30mpg+. I think it would be fun in a 90. I think the turbo charged version is essential in a 110 or for towing more than a small trailer

The problem as I see it is that when they have finished off diesels they will start on petrol vehicles. They will never be satisfied, and motorists, especially those who drive older vehicles, are an easy target.  I have recently heard people saying that the wood burning stoves we have been told to use because they are "green" give off harmfully particles, so we can see how they are preparing themselves for future targets.

The reason for the U-turn on the environmental friendliness of wood burners is that companies are shipping wood blocks around the planet on cargo ships and trucks.  As usual, the talking heads didn't consider all the facts before making public conclusions, just like the diesel debate.

The Norwegians plan to allow only electric vehicles from 2025 and the Germans from 2030, though that may mean sales rather than use.

1 hour ago, honitonhobbit said:

And of course the environmental impact of electric vehicles is higher still...

I wish someone would properly recognise this - they are far from green, yet because nothing comes out of the back end of the vehicle when they are used they are considered by most as zero polluters. Anyway, i am preaching to the converted here.

It's a big old con job. If you frequent Facebook at all you will find that every post that states the truth about rare metal mining, refinement, transport; recycling, carbon impact etc., gets shot down almost immediately

Crazy figures about bio-alternatives are quoted - the 16kgs for 1kg of food energy one is particularly manufactured; its for one type of highly inefficient crop on a certain type of low yield, unsuitable ground.

Electric vehicles will make money - so they are the next great thing

I really dont understand why we aren't growing more of our fuels and building engines based on vegetable oils. That makes more sense to me in environmental terms. The current way we use these oils is in older smokier engines so doesn't look that great perhaps, but with the right technology I'm sure they could be made cleaner.

• Like 1

At the end of the day, we, (or the next generation, etc.) are just not going to have much choice other than to drive and consume less. That's how it was in the olden days, and what's become normal for us can't continue forever. And I don't mean wearing rags and living in shacks and eating a cat on Sunday, I mean living close to work, not driving huge distances, not owning so much that it all has to be shipped in from overseas, and so on. I very much suspect that this will take place gradually as what we rely on dries up in some way or other. This is one reason I drive a V8! 

The problem with growing fuels is that that land can usually be used for food, and with a growing global population it's a case of one or the other. I think these solar farms are a crime, acres of land that can't be used for growing. Put them on warehouse roofs etc if you have to have them. The number of huge warehouses that have gone up around here over the last 20 years thanks to Blairs off shoring is amazing and they're still going up, make it part of the planning that they have to come to a deal with the energy companies to stick the solar panels there to get planning.

Changing technologies just moves the problem around, OK little advances are made here and there, in 20 years time we learn't the odd thing we thought was good for us actually isn't. The sad truth is the only way to solve the problem is to find ways to reduce population and reverse globalisation. But what politician wants to stand with that as there manifesto?

Look at Drax with biofuel, no way can the coal and wood chip they use be better than the tonnes of coal under their feet, but Kellingley Colliary still shut whilst the coal comes from Columbia and wood pellets from Canada.

• Like 3