10/24 spline diff centre side gear conversion

Hi all,

I've been reading around on various forums and a question keeps popping up from time to time without being answered.  It's about swapping between 10 and 24 splines for whatever reason, and specifically the swapping of the internal side gears that carry the half shafts.  Since I already have a spare 24spline 3.54 and have 10spline 4.71 in the car, and may need a 10spl 3.54 in the future, is it possible to swap the side gears (to save buying another unit), or are they different dimensions too?

Hi Nick

Like I mentioned on FB, the man you need to speak to is Pete Rowe - winner of the AWDC top safari driver more times than any other living being. He runs a large block Oldsmobile lump in his comp safari motor and has Salisbury axles . He is a bit of a gearbox guru. Last time I spoke to him he was based near Dulverton on Exmoor (?) He used a mix od Dana 60 side gears and Salisbury internals. I can't find his number anywhere. Nige knows him - as do one or two others on here

Thanks, guys.  Simpler and cheaper then to just get a good complete 3.54 Rover diff!  I just wanted to keep the costs down on changing to 4.1 ratio in the future.  At least I have found a well priced genuine Dana 60 gear set for the Salisbury for the back end with what appears to be a rare 10 spline pinion (Ford), which I'm hoping will fit a Salisbury flange to save messing about with the (included) pinion yolk.  KAM's set was expensive, but it looks like they're discontinued.