Jump to content

FFS not again.....


daveturnbull
 Share

Recommended Posts

Look for a forged rather than cast vice.  You can abuse them for decades and they will not crack.

I bought a 5" Record Engineers Forged vice at a boot sale in about 1995 and god knows, I've tried to break it but it will out last me!

Si

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
On 3/15/2017 at 10:44 PM, simonr said:

Look for a forged rather than cast vice.  You can abuse them for decades and they will not crack.

I bought a 5" Record Engineers Forged vice at a boot sale in about 1995 and god knows, I've tried to break it but it will out last me!

Si

Your vice will be cast steel not forged, the only forged vices tend to be the blacksmith leg vices (Record did make leg vices so you may be talking about one of them).

 

EDIT: Oh ok there are some German forged and welded vices.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Record make vices from cheap rubbish all the way up to professional and almost indestructible.

If you want something strong from Record try something in the following ranges. (don't buy new unless you lay golden eggs)

No 34 - 36

No 110 - 114

Any Record Leader model vice they are a welded vice and indestructible ;)

Likewise Fortis do similar quality ones to the Record 110 - 114's and whilst looking similar tend to sell for less than the Record ones.

Oh and go for the biggest vice you can get ;)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, CwazyWabbit said:

Oh and go for the biggest vice you can get ;)

That's a given.

My ideal would be a 114, 36, 25 in that order of preference. I did find a 75 locally which looks really old skool but missed out on it.

Until I find one locally (as they are not really a postable item for sensible money) I'm using a borrowed 23, but strictly not for any pressing duties as I can't be trusted.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is the one I have, albeit with no paint and much more 'used':

efdebettxd_fortis101_final1.jpg

Not let me down in 20 years. FORTIS cast steel vice.

Oooh look, it's big brother, with a fairly challenging looking word on it: 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fortis-Steel-Engineering-Vice-with-Quick-Release-garage-find-classic-car-vw-vgc-/272615742275?hash=item3f792a1b43:g:IuAAAOSwax5YvENO

Not far from you either, I'd be making him an offer to end early...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Funnily enough, I've already got that one in my watch list. If you look at his previous items it's not sold twice at £45. The jaws look a bit rough, and I'm not sure what's going on with the half a bolt stuck out of one of them. Definitely keeping an eye on it tho.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, daveturnbull said:

Funnily enough, I've already got that one in my watch list. If you look at his previous items it's not sold twice at £45. The jaws look a bit rough, and I'm not sure what's going on with the half a bolt stuck out of one of them. Definitely keeping an eye on it tho.

The jaws look like they came off another vice, the half a bolt is just because the person looks to have used any bolts they could find when they replaced the jaws.

Neat feature on that Fortis F4 is they can be adjusted to remove any side to side slop thanks to the sloped sides on the slide and the allen screws.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, daveturnbull said:

That's a given.

My ideal would be a 114, 36, 25 in that order of preference. I did find a 75 locally which looks really old skool but missed out on it.

Until I find one locally (as they are not really a postable item for sensible money) I'm using a borrowed 23, but strictly not for any pressing duties as I can't be trusted.

I'd stay away from the 75, you'll get bored of the lack of quick release fairly quick and the exposed main screw when opened is just inviting a bit of Damaging Dave's attention ;)

Record 112 has the same size jaw as the 36 (6") so is another good choice, I'd not bother with a Record 25 .... I reckon you would break that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Dave... I have a big old record vice sat on my garage floor I'll happily cobalt to your cause..... I'm working in poole for the next couple of weeks.... pm me.

It'sbeen right royally  abused and could probably use new jaws.. . But works fine . 

Edited by Disco-Ron
Spellchecker got grumpy!
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience. By using our website you agree to our Cookie Policy