Old vice advice

mad_pete

All,

Got what looks like Samsonia Perfect No 38 J with 5 1/4 Jaws. The quick release is missing but it turns okay. Took one of the jaws off and it's broken and looks like it has some damage to the screw, Not sure whether to clean and paint it for use or if I'm best of doing something else.

IMG_3191.JPG.3bd910afc06535681066750aa7e9cad4.JPG

IMG_3195.JPG.75b1d72ed4326326a27ae7806592d041.JPG

IMG_3192.JPG.9ec61a0b2420cb482f3a62cecaae136a.JPGIMG_3196.JPG.7853c3e1881c3d5a37ddc289d8bca935.JPG

IMG_3199.thumb.JPG.0703a2464f9fb425b172119605a228c7.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

My dad used to work for C and J Hampton and Company in Sheffield, the originaal manufacturer of Record vices, at one stage he was in charge of the vice lines.  He would never entertain a quick release vice, he thought they were the spawn of the devil as you were always only working with half a nut.  Th only thread on a vice screw as far he was concerned was a full acme, you could get plenty of leverage without anything letting go.

I do now know how to take a vice to pieces and can even make the tool for tightening jaw plates.

Peter

• 2 years later...
14 hours ago, landroversforever said:

@CwazyWabbit might know where to get one.

The last one of those I just brazed back together and it's held fine, they break in that spot when they get bent if the vice is dropped. Well strictly speaking they tend to break when being straightened without heat.

Is there nobody near you that can braze it up? Whereabouts in Kent?

The screw and half nut on quick release vices is always the weak point and the half nut  wears and the spring blade loses its tension.  They can be repaired if you know what you are doing but I was trained to keep away from quick release models.

Peter

On 6/1/2019 at 7:39 AM, Romahomepete said:

The screw and half nut on quick release vices is always the weak point and the half nut  wears and the spring blade loses its tension.  They can be repaired if you know what you are doing but I was trained to keep away from quick release models.

Peter

I've over 70 vices (yeah sad I know) with a fair selection of those being quick release, some over 100 years old. Not come across a quick release vice half nut that ever needed more than a good clean to stop it slipping. 

• 4 years later...

Hi this is a message or question/advice for/from  CwazyWabbit. Reading through all these question and answers on hear I think you might be the right person to ask, I'm having a go at resurrecting a No38 model J Samsonia vise. It's not had the roughest of lives so it's sort of worth doing except the QR springs broken, do you know of where I could get another one please ?

27 minutes ago, joiner55 said:

Hi this is a message or question/advice for/from  CwazyWabbit. Reading through all these question and answers on hear I think you might be the right person to ask, I'm having a go at resurrecting a No38 model J Samsonia vise. It's not had the roughest of lives so it's sort of worth doing except the QR springs broken, do you know of where I could get another one please ?

How broken? If it's just the end it is usually possible to heat the end of the spring till red and fashion a new end to the spring if you get what I mean. There's a lot more vice nerds over on https://www.mig-welding.co.uk/forum/threads/show-us-your-bench-vice-s.52872/page-434 they might have ideas as to where a replacement can be found.

Hi again CwazyWabbit sorry for delay in replying and thank you for your original reply,  unfortunately the springs broken in the middle. I did think about having a go at welding it but it seems the springs the week point as it is so welding it might only work for a short term.

Also thanks daveturnbull but I've already been intouch with Vice Works and unfortunately they couldn't help. 

I have however been trawling tinternet and found a Record vice QR spring that I think I might be able to make work.