OT: Sad day today

4 hours ago, Cornish Rattler said:

Thanks guys for all the kind words as all this really helps and only the other day I was looking at B.C. pups on the web but I will wait a bit till I decide to get another one but I really do miss him though :(

Perhaps think about an older dog, many in the rescues and homes that need and deserve the good home you can give.

Admitted some of the rescue places make you jump endless hurdles to prove you can do what you have been doing for 17 years... but once through that, a rescue is a rewarding and sometimes challenging venture.

HTH

No, that's my dog. If he died I wouldn't be posting about it on here. I recently lost my daughter and I won't be starting a thread about it on here.
From the forum instructions - "

So, from now on new threads and posts must meet at least one of the following criteria:

• Must be technical in nature.
  • 4x4 or offroad related.
  • Of benefit to the membership.

Threads and posts that do not meet with the above risk being amended or deleted without prior warning. The moderators decision is final.

Posts about mental health etc while sad, are innapropriate

Les

Defender section, why does that matter? The post title could be interpreted as anything at all, such as Land Rover Stolen, crashed beyond repair, etc, etc. Why wouldn't I read it and so what if I did anyway? The subject of what is or is not acceptable on here has been discussed on here many times since I helped to create it. Let it slip, and it will inevitably get worse as you can't realistically allow one person to post something off topic without then letting someone else do the same thing, so what was created as a strictly technical website becomes somewhere you can post any old carp that you like? Since this website became live, My GSD/Collie cross had to be put to sleep right here on my living room floor and he has his own grave in my back garden. I didn't post it on here for the same reason as the forum rules that I helped to create, nor would I post anything outside of those same rules. If anyone posted anything they liked. Would it be ok to have to trawl through loads of posts that's title may be mistakenly misinterpreted as something to do with Land Rovers?

Les.

Oh come on.

Its not like we see threads like this every day. A little bit of discretion can be made for the occasional thread like this in my opinion. Unless of course some members complain about them. Which to my knowledge hasn't happened.

I sympathise with what you have endured in the past. You haven't posted about these things. That's your perogative. But if you had, I expect people would have been sympathetic and wished you condolences.

Give yourself a shake.

...I have to say your responses to the slightest off Rules post Les are disproportionate to the frequency .... this is a community no matter what and a little balance would not go amiss

We all have a massive list of lost relatives / friends / pets and it is the darkest of paths to travel

The tech base and self moderation here by the posters is something to behold in a world of t'internet power

constructive or not ?

Steve

• Like 3

I'm sorry for your loss but I'm with Les.  This is a Land Rover forum and rules are rules, it's not you are allowed one off topic thread or 3 sad posts per section, it is land rovers only. At some point people may come here to find some escape from the sadness or difficulty they currently have in their life and won't want to read off topic posts such as these. While it is sad your dog has been put to sleep, there are other forums where that is allowed. I'm glad the rules are the way they are on here and people like Les have the balls to enforce them even on topics such as this.

• Like 1

I've got to be honest. If I feel I can't come on here and ask the occasional off topic question, or post the occasional off topic thread without a mod getting shirty I'm not sure I want to be a part of this "community" anymore.

No one said Les's loss wasn't tragic. Of course it was. In the past I've lost a wife, a son and 2 dogs. Like Steve said we all go through it and it's like the end of the world. 

So like the original title says it's a sad day indeed when a little discretion can't be used in these rare circumstances. That's the last I'm going to say about this as it gets me fcking angry.....

• Like 3

I personally would prefer a mellow approach, I agree that this sort of post does *not* have a place on the forum, the easy thing to do is to just ignore it and let it drop off the bottom of the page.

If one particular poster starts doing it too often a quiet PM explaining why and a silent removal of the post is all that should be required.

This saves any public lambasting, embarrassment, or further off-topicary goings on :)

Also from the forum rules, quoted above:

Threads and posts that do not meet with the above risk being amended or deleted without prior warning

It does state 'risk', not 'will definitely' nor 'will be publicly lambasted'. Given the nature of the OT I would hope anyone could use a bit of sensitivity before reacting abruptly. A post about how man-u just lost the premiership should of course be deleted without hesitation, and the user banned! ;) 

CR -I am sorry you lost your dog/friend/companion, I don't share the same affiliation with dogs, but there we go, I am sure though, it must be hard. As I think you probably now know, this forum is not the ideal place for it. :) 

Les, my deepest sympathies, in an ideal world a parent should never have to bury their child, this I more understand also being a father. Wish you a speedy recovery from what must have been, and still be an extremely traumatic time. 

• Like 2

I am very sorry for causing this argument as when I thought about posting this thread I wasn't sure if I should as on most other landy forums there is an Anything goes forum where you can ask / talk about almost anything and as I couldn't find a suitable forum on here I just thought the International forum would be the best place to post this thread.

the only thing I am a bit annoyed about is if you go on the International forum there are loads of other none landy threads and on reading some of them I have not seen anything said about the threads, hence why I posted this thread here in the first place :mellow:

• Like 1

Deepest sympathies to both of you. None of this is easy.  I’ve seen the special type of hell on earth that is a parent losing a child when we lost my brother, wouldn’t wish that on my worst enemy.

I also remember the empty space I felt when our 16 year old collie mongrel had to make the one-way trip to the vet (frankly I’ve got a tear in my eye just thinking about it).  Dogs are bu**ers for leaving you.

Anyhoo, there must be a compromise in here.

The off-topic posts do add to the forum’s value.  Think of Fridge’s garage, Rattlers’ log burner install, Mike’s camper trailer build?  Also people asking about their non-LR cars?  Should we ban that too?

A while ago I proposed an off-topic forum, I even offered to help moderate it.  Crucially, the posts in that forum should be excluded from the Google search results.  That way, the value of lr4x4  as the place to go to find technical answers to Land Rover related issues remains.  Additionally, those who have no interest is such frivolities can exclude the OT forum from appearing in their ‘unread posts’ feed.

I’ve always been somewhat confused about the scope of the ‘international forum’, so perhaps the above suggestion could complement it rather than replace it?

Matt

• Like 2