Second Hand Chassis for IVA Destined Project?

Working on an project that will need an IVA so I don't think there are any issues about using a second hand chassis. I would be looking for one with a V5 and either a Range Rover Classic or Discovery 1. Not bothered about a Q plate.

I've a fair amount of rot on my chassis and it is bent. There are also mods I want to make to the rear of the chassis so think a solid second hand with V5 may be a reasonable plan? Anything to be careful of?

I'd be looking to measure diagonals on the major mount holes, check for rot, and do a history check on the vehicle reg plate.

• 1 month later...
On 19/03/2017 at 8:39 PM, miketomcat said:

If your not bothered about having to IVA or have a q plated then a second hand chassis is fine just make sure it's legit. I would if possible get and keep the v5 for chassis and major parts plus receipts for it all.

Mike

By legit it will need a receipt as proof of purchase IIRC

Does anyone know what the diesel road fund charges are for Q plated vehicles?  Specifically if they're charging the circa £500 they charged TD5 and 2.4 Tdci Defenders?  I recall that the charges on the TD5s when up retrospectively, and that seemed to be almost unique in doing so; most regs seem to be implemented with advanced notice and no retrospection to older vehicles.  I ask because I'm still concerned about major punitive action for diesels in the future, and Q plate diesels could plausibly face some issues.  I would hope that any tax band allocation is fixed on initial registration and that any regulation changes that occur after registration, be it specification, tax or any other matter, would be immaterial, but I don't trust them!

I'm also confused as to what happens to an existing rebuilt and modified vehicle that currently meets the points scheme criteria to retain its ID, but then gets one more mod over a decade after rebuild that puts it below the 8 points.  It seems that becomes a radically altered vehicle, but the DVLA literature is unclear on how to deal with it, only seeming to deal with vehicles where all the mods are done at once in a single major build.

By the way, Wes, cars over ten years old with less than eight seats are exempt from IVA, according to the DVLA website.

When I had mine done albeit the SVA with the 200Tdi I had to provide emmisions details from LR who were as much use as a chocolate tea pot, in the end i used the data from the workshop manual and the year of manufacture of the  engine in my case 1990--1994 IIRC it was a few years ago (plus the 200 was only about for 4 years) and they used this to set the emmisions and therefore Tax  - at least thats how I remember it went

Ah, so the band is set on year of engine manufacture, not vehicle first registration/re-registration.  I suppose it'd be impossible to get an older engined vehicle approved at all, though with modern emissions regs...

8 hours ago, western said:

recently retaxed my 1989 200tdi engined 110csw for 2017 it went up to £245 for the 12 months 1 may to 30 April & that's a standard vehicle, road tax goes on year of build so anything before 2001 is a flat rate

That's the year of original build for a rebuilt vehicle using the original registration.  The question is what happens with radically altered or scratch built vehicles that require a new identity.