LR jumped the arrogance shark

A Twig

I find that with a lot of modern cars, if I cannot see the badge I cannot tell what they are. Which I suppose shows my level of interest in cars other than my Defender. A friend has just bought a Fraud Ranger(?) and was waffling on about how it had blue tooth and ipod docking and and and. When I asked him about the engine and the oily bits his eyes sort of glazed over and he mumbled something about yes of course it has those things

Tis the way it's going - most car adverts tell you more about the entertainment system (bluetooth, touch screens, etc.) than anything car-related.

TBH I think LR manage to be (relatively) refined and tasteful compared to some of the over-designed tat you see driving around. Would you favour a Cayenne or a Toerag or an X5 over a RR? I wouldn't. If it's what most people are buying then they've gotta do it or go bust. Bottom line, they're selling them as fast as they can make 'em and that's good news for a little old British car manufacturer.

3 hours ago, FridgeFreezer said:

Tis the way it's going - most car adverts tell you more about the entertainment system (bluetooth, touch screens, etc.) than anything car-related.

TBH I think LR manage to be (relatively) refined and tasteful compared to some of the over-designed tat you see driving around. Would you favour a Cayenne or a Toerag or an X5 over a RR? I wouldn't. If it's what most people are buying then they've gotta do it or go bust. Bottom line, they're selling them as fast as they can make 'em and that's good news for a little old British car manufacturer.

I'd give one of the old 5.0 v10 tourags a go :D

Someone has a cayenne at work, the interior and comfort levels are very good but it doesn't look any different to any other car underneath, rusty little bolts and so on. No mechanical problems yet and it's 4 years old, the 2 year old ranger is still breaking down and the dealers still don't know why. 

2 hours ago, Bowie69 said:

A quarter the parts cost of a new car is now that electronics.... That should tell you all you need to know really, they are a consumer good, nothing more.

A friend went to buy a fester and wanted the cheapest model they did. Salesman was trying to sell her a different model with colour coded mirrors, alloy wheels and various other bits of jewellery. He was a bit crushed when she asked him how much better rear view the colour coded mirrors gave her and was not steel also an alloy? But it has a sunroof madam (and how farking ridiculous is a moon roof?) to which her response was why would I want a car with a hole in the roof?. In the end she got the one with all the added bits because "nobody asks for the base model madam and it will be months before we can get one" but she got it for the base model price.

On the subject of breakdowns, A friend was workshop manager at a LR dealership. They had a RR sport which would always go into limp home mode when presented with a hill. They tried all sorts to reproduce the fault (owner was going on his hols with caravan attached etc) In the end they gave him a demo car and said leave it with us while you go on holiday we will have a good look at it. couldn't get it to replicate the fault. Bloke comes back off hols, picks up his car, attaches caravan, he is back within 10 minutes same fault. In the end Land Rover said give him another car and send that one back to the factory we will sort it out. Dealer did as requested and even the factory could not find the problem. Doesn't bode well for the future.

Edited by neil110
  • Like 2

People buy what is available, not what they want, and I very much doubt it would involve little side windows you can't see out of and a front end which looks like a pile of folded laundry. Manufacturers follow trends in a predictable desperation to be a part of whatever style is the latest, and as for being different . . . well, nobody takes risks these days, do they? 

On Saturday, March 25, 2017 at 3:25 AM, Davo said:

Ah, style and taste, or for that matter refinement . . . where have they gone? I've realised that should I suddenly become extremely wealthy there is not one new vehicle I would buy, because they're all so goddamned ugly. What a great time to own older cars! 

I don't know. I would buy the new 80" Defender or the back to basics two door  Range Rover that LR have started to build...:)

• Like 1

On ‎24‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 5:55 PM, Cynic-al said:

I'm the same, I thought the old shape l200 was awful, then they brought out the new shape with the huge chrome grill and I thought how nice the old one looked in comparison. 

Which proves everything new is rubbish and I'm going to live under a rock in the past. Bah humbug!

Supposedly I have a discovery sport on the 7th when the isuzu goes in for a bumper repair, I might be converted and dragged into the ipod twitter snap chat generation. Hip hop snap dab kiddies.

Might I suggest the Evogue?  I had one on test a back when they came out. It was huge fun. Massively impractical but scored very high on the Hoonometer. I will admit to pushing it quite hard... 

mmm, I drive a pickup for the practicalities not the drivability, I think if I were to be in a position to have a vehicle where I were to buy based on drivability and not practicality I think I would pick something other than a 2 litre diesel soft roader.

It's a courtesy car so I don't get to pick. It's an Isuzu and Land Rover dealer, usually they like to give Isuzus to Isuzu drivers and Land Rovers to Land Rover drivers but they must have run out of Isuzus as they said they'd have to give me a Discovery Sport. Well, if there's really no other way around the problem I guess I will have to just cope! :lol:

It doesn't fit adult pax in the front, Dave!  When Helena and I went to a dealer to look for a nice second hand Defender, the gobsh*** salesman kept trying to persuade us into an Evoque and wouldn't accept that we didn't like the design or the concept.  I sat in it to shut him up and found I don't fit the seats, which are far too naroow.  Im 6' and 12st, not remotely overweight, and I don't fit a premier car...  That says a lot about modern design. 

I found something similar with the original Freelander, I had to crick my neck to see through the windscreen comfortably and I am a positively stumpy 5' 9"

I am guessing here but I have the feeling that the ewok is a mistress's car in much the same way as the Merc SL

When I test drove the new navara I had to tilt my head to the side and put it in the sunroof just to get in it yet the amarok is the first car I've ever driven where I can see left, usually my vision is completely obscured by the rear view mirror. Amazing the difference between two similar vehicles. 

I'm 5'9 and never had an issue with my FL1's, until the last one got so used that the headlining sagged just like a "real" Land Rover!

You people know that seats can be adjusted, right? And not just forwards and back like a Defender, but up & down and stuff...

OH had a Fiesta on hire for work, didn't fit in that, had to duck to see out of the windscreen so it's not just LR ruining everything :rolleyes:

I think it's the individual. I'm a shrinking 6' and now a svelte 13stone. When I was working for LRE I was about 15 stone. I loved the Freebieone. Found it really nice to drive as it fitted me. I find certain vehicles are just plain uncomfortable. I fit in the front of the Evogue nicely and the DiscoSport. The D5 makes me squirm after about 5 miles. Yet I can sleep sitting upright in a Defender...  Vauxhall tend to cause me back ache (apologies for the O/T mention of a non Land Rover/Non 4x4 manufacturer...

Going back to the original topic I think LR are feeling like someone who did a ground up rebuild and sold the landy for £10k only for someone to buy it, paint it with pink and yellow strips with some fuffy dice and a throw cushion, put a 'bling' badge on and sell it on for £25k.

• Like 1

I'll bet there are some legal people in there as well. Khan and Icon (UK, not the genuine brand) do have a slightly relaxed attitude to legality. I wonder if there might be a possible liability issue somewhere along the line

Alternatively, maybe they want to cash in more on the huge Pointless Bolt On Carp market

Edited by honitonhobbit

A roof box with a drone in it... quick, patent it, that's one up on the citroen (or Renault or whoever) that advertise their car as having a camera in the rear vew mirror so you can instagram stuff to your friends whilst your driving. Your stuck in a queue so you can fly your drone to the front and see what the hold up is then tweet the photos to Sally traffic.

Am I the only one that longs for car adverts to sell me a car based on how well it drives not what naff gadgets it has that i'll never use?