New Series - RR Heavy

Shackleton

Thanks Mo, Mike. Yeah I love that kind of stuff even though I've very little engineering knowledge but I've met a couple more interesting guys I'm trying to convince to do some stuff I can film. They're a little camera shy so far but I think arms can be twisted. On the LR front hopefully I can do the forum proud. I'm all in on this with nothing to lose so I'll do my best. 

Unless I've overestimated how much I can get done, I should be able to make it weekly. 

Superb, some really impressive cinematography I think its called!.. nice filming anyway! yup I'll follow you. You made me chuckle when you digressed on the circular saw you found looking forlorn, sound very much like we've got the same faulty gene...!

• Like 1

That was a very entertaining watch, seemed very well shot and great subject matter, I will be watching future episodes and I'll probably send the link to friends too. Better than a lot of stuff I've seen on broadcast TV.

• Like 3

Well, it shows in the quality :)

As you say though, being the other side of the lens is rather different, but then directing, producing planning, editing etc, I expect there are a million and one things to try to remember... :)

Number one thing I think you got right was the lighting, so many shows on YT are so badly lit, yours is almost like being in a studio, but I guess this is the experience showing again.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shackleton said:

Thanks Bowie, I'd love to say I hadn't but I worked in media and comms for a long time, so it should be a lot better than it is. It's easy if you have a crew, but try pulling focus on yourself, or monitoring your own voice ;)

Aw, come on, look at all those sparkling videos on Youtube shot by one guy - it's just a matter of working with what you've got. (Yes, I'm thinking of those Casey Neistat daily vlogs.) Perhaps with an industry background you'll need some time to "downsize" your thinking, because I didn't notice anything wrong and it was obvious you knew what you were doing. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bowie69 said:

...so many shows on YT are so badly lit, yours is almost like being in a studio

Nice you notice mate, I set up a number of studios in my time and I treated this no differently, I see the area around the Esprit as a set. I have a modest lighting kit that I'm stretching to it's limit. The natural light in the unit is brutal and the workable hours for video in winter are tiny. The picture clarity should be a lot better but the camera settings are also maxed to compensate for the poor light. Just finding a rhythm now so fingers crossed for the second episode.

1 hour ago, task said:

...I'll probably send the link to friends too. 

Please do! I'm all in on this and I'd love it to work. I'm chuffed the technical stuff is being noticed because it's been important to me to try and get it right, I never expected praise as high though. Don't stop... I'll work through my embarrassment :D

2 minutes ago, Davo said:

Perhaps with an industry background you'll need some time to "downsize" your thinking...

Really interesting attitude Davo, I'm trying to cut myself some slack and I'm going to keep that in mind when things seem tricky. Cheers!

NICE

I haven't watched all the way thru cos I'm so over VW's and Loti ;). I've always loved simple animation fx... One thing that bugged me: remember to look at the dam thing when doing your piece(s) to camera !!

Your enjoyment shines through and both sides (vehicles + production) make me jealous...

• Like 1

One thing about Mr. Niestat I learned is that he uses very little equipment but puts a lot of his effort into setting up a shot, and then especially the editing. He's been at it to the point where he has his own high-quality style, which is more than can be said for many a professional production, much less for anything on Youtube. And no, I'm not a fourteen-year-old skateboarding fan of his, I just love these bare-bones productions the internet has made possible. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Yup, also watched this morning, really great stuff :)

RR's do hide the rot, don't they..... pleased to see the CAD coming out though, you are fortunate, most RRC stuff is flat plate, without huge curving pieces :) 

37 minutes ago, Bowie69 said:

Yup, also watched this morning, really great stuff :)

RR's do hide the rot, don't they..... pleased to see the CAD coming out though, you are fortunate, most RRC stuff is flat plate, without huge curving pieces :) 

I think that is the main reason so many old ones have been rebuilt! 

Thanks gents! Hopefully it'll get better and better, big learning curve.

Do you mean computer aided design by CAD Bowie? Oh yeah the LR's have to be one of the best first restorations, everything's fairly simple and robust. Hopefully my fabrication later passes muster.

Edit: I fell foul of some sort of Youtube audit today which froze my view count even though I was getting likes and subscriptions. It's a bit of a kick in the nethers but hey... live and learn. Any shares are a massive help.

Edited by Shackleton

I love it! The animation of the fasteners and little stuff like that is amazing. I can't believe that you have the patience to prepare some of those shots just after the struggle to disconnect / unscrew. I'm hooked ?

• Like 1