New Series - RR Heavy

Shackleton

Steve, Gar who owns Delta Auto Body is an old pal of mine, the space is a massive win and such an enabler. he actually offered it to me maybe eight months ago but I didn't see the overnighting angle back then.

Well gents I'm sure you'll have plenty to say about the state of the Esprit's chassis

Yeah toyed with the idea but this one will only see the wet the odd time it's caught out. There are certain things it will be impossible to put back exactly as it was from the factory, but the rest I'll keep faithful, and I'm trying to lighten it rather than go the other way ;)

Thanks dude but don't jinx it! Was so busy getting into it I ran headlong into a bit of a tight spot. I hadn't thought far enough ahead in terms of having things like blasting organised. Think I'm on top of it but we'll see. 

Latest episode for anyone who hasn't seen it;

george, in addition the that compressor ive got stored away (if you still want it) i also have a small bench pillar drill thats got your name on it :D

this one in fact:

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/clarke-cdp5rb-5-speed-bench-mounted-pillar-dri/

its not very big or powerful but still yours if you want it.

Edited by qwakers

haha I feel like I'm clogging up your workshop now, sorry I mean your dad's 😁

Thanks a mill mate, I don't want you stashing them and then it's ages before I get there. UK trip is def on the cards, just not predictable date wise yet. Hang on I'll msg you directly.

no worries. id rather give them to you than bin them. worth sod all in scrap anyway :D but work fine.

i could always stick them on a pallet for you but i suspect the cost would be more than they're worth!

Edited by qwakers
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Working on it! Looks like it'll be a RR one too, I'm forcing myself out there just now to get things moving again. Have made extra work for myself leaving it sit and quietly surface rust. Going to use a rust converter on the weld pits after I wire brush them generally. Hope that yields a good result.

best wishes for the year :)

PS - I've just spent ten minutes trying to find out what's wrong with my notifications. I don't get any email alerts for posts I follow here, I do for The Lotus Forum which is built on this same platform/software, but the LR4x4 follow settings manager tells me I have to consult the help topics of my browser to enable notifications. I can't find anything in there that helps though.

Edited by Shackleton

George - I found a drill like yours:

IMGP8939a.thumb.JPG.598ae6926676ba92e51299d1bd8002db.JPG

It's randomly parked in the corner of the Brooklands museum F1 section! I got some funny looks taking a photo of this rusty old drill whilst surrounded by F1 cars :rofl: and even more looks when I took a photo of the JPS oil can for @Escape as it matches his Lotus :ph34r:

• Like 1

Chuffed there's a Denbigh in the Brooklands museum, thanks man! They're not kidding around either because it's wired to the wall. Seems to be missing it's spindle front cover but otherwise really original. The wobbly wire cage dates it between '57 and '75 I think. So is @Escape 's JPS can the one standing on the foot? Giz a look!

The welder thing ran up to the holidays but just before end of business I made contact with our ESAB agent here who was very helpful and has contacted ESAB HQ directly on my behalf. I haven't heard back yet. Tomorrow I'll be starting the chase again.

The welder campaign climbed to $1600, which is amazing and thanks a million it's very exciting, and after Go Fund Me fees, money transfer and exchange rates that's roughly €900. I'll put in the ton to get it to €1k and hopefully that's enough to offer a company for a cost price machine that retails for a higher value sso I can get something really nice. The MIG & AC/DC TIG machines are at least twice that and I'd love one, but failing that maybe I can do a deal for a separate MIG and lesser TIG machine. I really want to start to learn to TIG weld, not least because I'd like to fab my own alu fuel tanks for the Esprit. I've also been in talks with a major car restoration hardware provider who asked me to make a wish list, on that list is a bead roller and panel pins and dimple dies and a decent hammer set. Here's hoping. 

• Like 3

George, the drill looked like it could be put into use whenever needed. Though maybe not ideal so close to the old F1 cars...

The oil can was just sitting on the foot, as decoration. I would love to have one of those on display in our Workshop! Or just a pack of JPS fags for that matter. I took my JPS Elan to Brooklands for the new years day gathering, the marshals gave it a nice spot not far from the main building. 😎

Filip 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Escape said:

George, the drill looked like it could be put into use whenever needed. Though maybe not ideal so close to the old F1 cars...

The oil can was just sitting on the foot, as decoration. I would love to have one of those on display in our Workshop! Or just a pack of JPS fags for that matter. I took my JPS Elan to Brooklands for the new years day gathering, the marshals gave it a nice spot not far from the main building. 😎

Filip 

Perhaps something like this Filip ? 

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F202554783852

• Like 1