New Series - RR Heavy

Shackleton

Seriously well done George, it is great to see it come back to life!

Its first duty as off-road tractor is great fun, but it begs the question will it be going on the road? Is it old enough to qualify for 'Vintage'?

That's awesome, and what a final shot!

Reckon you've hit the sweet spot with the guy doing the windscreen, just enough to show how it's done without labouring the point - although when he was talking about H-seals and S-seals I was kinda hoping for a 5 second sketch on the back of an envelope... a picture being worth 1000 words and all that ;)

Thanks a mill lads, pretty happy with this one and really motivating to see all the progression in the footage. The completely ripped apart rear end felt like a suppressed memory ;)

FF I actually cut a short section out of the old rubber to show a H, and was hoping Anthony would bring an S section with him and when that didn't happen I was going to show an on screen diagram. There's always something that gets left out in the rush to release an episode and unfortunately that was it in this one. Plus some key bits of the Vogue montage, but hey... there'll always be time for directors cuts when I'm rich and retired :D

Top and bottom rows are S rubber and the second row are all H's. Basically the S places the glass outside the car body aperture/frame, while the H places the screen in the aperture. The notch in the H at 6 o'clock is for the locking trim.

Windscreen Rubber Types.jpg

@Blanco  It'll be classic for tax in '21 and I'll put it on the road hopefully before the end of the month so I have it for the summer. Want to get a test for it this coming week, early next week at the latest.

Edited by Shackleton
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Shackleton said:

there'll always be time for directors cuts when I'm rich and retired :D

I reckon when you get a vehicle finished you should do a "director's cut" video which is just the solid stop-motion of the whole resto, start to finish. What with all that spare time you have and all ;)

• Like 1

George, just watched your latest, bloomin well done man, great job on that, and the recap footage shows not just how far the car has come, but how you've developed as well. Sterling stuff.

Someone got a drone :)

Def a full cut of all the work, that's always been on the cards. Just those last few jobs to do. Still raging I never took any footage of the car before really, I was just too eager to get into it.

Thanks Peter, as I was doing the windscreen frame repairs I all of a sudden stood back and realised I was doing stuff I'd never have guessed I'd be doing. I mean skills wise rather than the surprise of the rust ;) No drone, much as I'd like one I asked a pal [and LR guy] would he come over and give it a go!

Hopefully next week it'll be a road legal lawn mower :ph34r:

What I've found is the D2 is actually a better mower tow-er. The dulled throttle in low range makes all the difference. 1250rpm, A/C and some tunes... it's lovely. Having said that I may have adjusted the throttle linkage on the Vogue a little tight, but it's a bit decadent to be mowing a few acres with a V8. If I can figure out how to build a little box to trick the D2's cruise into working under 30mph it'll be perfect.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

What ho Ste! I have a start to finish edit of the Vogue on the way, and tomorrow the Esprit chassis meets a media blaster who I'm going to have a sit down chat with too. I've also nailed down the new welder situation and will shoot some videos with an expert later this month. So there's stuff coming, and then some :). Juggling like mad whilst trying to regain a little zen here. The Vogue rebuild got on top of me if I'm honest. Been doing fun little things quietly without a camera, like getting the cruise control going again and stone chipping all that lovely clean underbody work, but I've a couple of niggles that I'm completely unsure about.

I haven't managed to track down the gain/loss of power yet, but if I'm honest I haven't done much save for checking vacuum lines and servicing the dizzy cap. I should really just replace those and the plugs. I'm also wondering whether a fuel filter could cause that kind of temporary gain in power after a heavy revving.

There's a whine from under the car under heavy load, in fact it rarely happens because I don't have a heavy foot. Not at 15mpg :rolleyes:. When I had the rear diff out it didn't show any signs of poor bearing or wheel condition and it's not weeping from the input flange, plus it's just gotten fresh fluid. So I'm hoping it's not that. Likewise the aft end of the rear prop was in good fettle too. I haven't checked the transfer case for fluid, could it be as simple as lack of?

While I'm asking questions, is it ok to freewheel an auto RRC? 

Anyway standby for normal [improved] service to resume, I'm excited to get things going again and bring some extra quality to the series.

Edited by Shackleton

George, I had a whine on the ibex it stopped when you knocked the t-box and gearbox in neutral but returned. However if you ran through the gears in t-box neutral it got louder. Turned out to be t-box input bearings found by removing the input gear and running the engine in gear.

Mike

• Thanks 1

Oh dear, I'll try shift gears in t-box neutral and see if it bears the same symptoms. Fingers crossed. Whatever it is I don't need it, but thems the breaks. Cheers Mike

On 7/4/2019 at 2:08 PM, Anderzander said:

... Sharing a lack of progress may be a motivator for some people ? 

when the love of the cars isn't quite cutting it for my own motivation it's the messages of renewed motivation from others that keep me going. I do behind the scenes update videos for patrons and they're probably more me trying not to whinge too loudly about frustrations, than they are extra practical content.

• 2 weeks later...

" If I can figure out how to build a little box to trick the D2's cruise into working under 30mph it'll be perfect. "

Signal multiplier ?

We used one of those to trick the Brantz computer into working while going very, very slow..

49 minutes ago, Arjan said:

" If I can figure out how to build a little box to trick the D2's cruise into working under 30mph it'll be perfect. "

If you can quantify the signal(s) required I'm sure something could be worked out - if it's logic level (3.3v or 5v) it could be very easy.

• 4 weeks later...

George! I've finally got round to watching your videos, and finally just finished the latest upload! 

Loving the series, great to see the progress on all of the vehicles and very much looking forward to the next update :).

If you're ever in the Oxfordshire area and need anything, give me a shout. Likewise for any forum relay type things, I'm around the Oxford/Abingdon area a lot if you need stuff storing for a future visit.