New Series - RR Heavy

Shackleton

Hi gents! 

Sorry been neglectful. Yep you said it, been out enjoying myself. The Vogue has done about 2k in six weeks or so. My god it's thirsty, it's very much out of it's time. I mean back when a gallon of juice was £3 it would have been manageable, but now... pfft it's scary. 

I've been busy in the background and normal service will resume from here. Kind of ;). Don't sweat about channel momentum, I really like where it's at in terms of having a small but loyal following, sure it needs to be bigger to make life smoother for me but that'll come. I've realised I need more of my own time, to be healthy. I mean work/life balance, so the learning curve is still in effect.

Hope the full RR feature floats a few boats. I still get enthralled by it despite having watched it a lot of times, there's a big element of 'did I actually do that?'

• Like 4

Great video (and series), and good to see the RR back on the road.  It was a big job, and the video really does show how you picked up more skill as you went, with increasingly able fabrication and welding in particular.  It’s inspiring seeing other owners, rather than workshops, doing this sort of thing.

• Like 3

What this video tells me is that it should take approximately 90 minutes to restore my classic, not including tea-brakes :rofl:

As Snagger says, put together like that you can see the skills developing and improving as you go along.

I reckon you should post a bonus time-lapse video of how long it takes you to edit a video ;)

• Like 2

There's a little chatter about why I'd bother with a car that was a POS when new, many Americans especially have a really bad opinion of RR. Many miss the point, but I expected that. What still astonishes me is the 'car guy' ability to jump on the band wagon of a stereotype without actually having any knowledge or experience of a make/model.

Do RR's rust? Yep. Do they all rust more than the next old car? I don't believe to. Well my '73 made it 40 years with less than a half days work welding repairs, and it worked for a living. Are they poorly engineered? I don't believe so either. I read one comment this morning that described LR's mechanicals as papier mache. wtf

• Like 2

Hmm, well you can't educate pork George, so suggest you don't try :D

If it is yanks, then they are probably comparing it to their massive trucks, which of course are much more sturdily (read: heavy) built. LRs were never about that.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bowie69 said:

Hmm, well you can't educate pork George, so suggest you don't try :D

If it is yanks, then they are probably comparing it to their massive trucks, which of course are much more sturdily (read: heavy) built. LRs were never about that.

They're always comparing like that. Might as well compare the components to a 7.5T Lorry! 

Well George has made it to Jalopnik:

https://jalopnik.com/this-stop-motion-video-of-a-guy-fixing-his-range-rovers-1837714082

Of all automobile wrenching disciplines, bodywork is by far the most intimidating to me. It requires a refined touch that I just don’t have (yet), which is why this stop-motion video of a man repairing all the rust on his old Range Rover is so fascinating.

This New Take On A Car Restoration Show Is Beautiful” my coworker Andrew Collins wrote when we introduced George Karellas’ YouTube series “Soup.” And Andrew was totally right, because the channel, SOUP . Classic Motoring, just posted a video titled “How I restored a Classic Range Rover and saved it from the junkyard,” and my god is it stunning.

Watch how Karellas cuts the rot out of his 1991 Range Rover Vogue SE, makes patches out of new steel, welds it into place, grinds down the welds, and paints over everything until it all looks factory-fresh.

Though the video includes suspension and brake work, as well as a number of other repairs, what makes this production special is that it lets you watch from a first-person perspective as complex(ish) pieces of rusted-out steel get hacked out and the body is returned to factory-fresh form. The whole thing is far more entertaining than I thought possible:

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Shackleton said:

There's a little chatter about why I'd bother with a car that was a POS when new, many Americans especially have a really bad opinion of RR. Many miss the point, but I expected that. What still astonishes me is the 'car guy' ability to jump on the band wagon of a stereotype without actually having any knowledge or experience of a make/model.

Do RR's rust? Yep. Do they all rust more than the next old car? I don't believe to. Well my '73 made it 40 years with less than a half days work welding repairs, and it worked for a living. Are they poorly engineered? I don't believe so either. I read one comment this morning that described LR's mechanicals as papier mache. wtf

Most Americans automatically dismiss anything built outside the US as rubbish.  The reality is the bulk of their vehicles are truly awful - inefficient, badly handling barges filled with cheap grade plastics and adorned in vulgar excesses of chrome.  They have a few notable exceptions, but most deserve comparison with the like of the Marina and and Metro for lack of finesse or ambition.

I was sure it'd bomb, but when you think about what goes on YT these days I suppose it makes sense.

The comments [1400+] are highly entertaining, I've been propositioned [by a straight chap], another talked about how it's the longest he's ever been erect, I've seemingly broken the dumb Irish potato farmer stereotype whilst being referred to as Dermot by an Aussie in 'the colony', a Russian called me 'bitch' and a Spanish chap doffed his sombrero at me :D

• Haha 3