If you value this forum's future please support us
Shackleton

New Series - RR Heavy

Bowie69    382

A mate had a Mk1 Mini Marcos, his dad bought it in the 60s, and started building it up, eventually he got bored and it sat in a barn for decades, and his son bought it off him about 15 years ago.... he never got round to finishing it either(!) and sold it on about 10 years ago to someone high up in the Marcos OC, I do wonder it if it is finally finished now :)

Shackleton    61
On 10/07/2017 at 0:16 PM, Bowie69 said:

A mate had a Mk1 Mini Marcos...  I do wonder it if it is finally finished now :)

Know anyone with the Marcos OC Mike?

miketomcat    168

Some but I'm more likely to know the car than the person. I've been on the mini marcos owners club committee for about 20 years but haven't been that active at events for about 10 years.

Mike

Shackleton    61

Hey Mike, I don't know how I ended up watching this but it's interesting and I thought you'd like to see it if you haven't already.

Davo    47

Episode 9

Considering your circumstances, Mr. Shackleton, that Range Rover fabrication and welding is really something else! 

Shackleton    61

Thanks for sharing Davo, I didn't want to be banging on about it. RE the fabrication I'm just trying to figure things out. 

Been thinking about the two door RR more and more lately. It'll be a while yet before I can drag it in and get started but the thought crossed my mind that I could convert it to auto now that I'm a bit older and like my comforts. It'll have to do very little work, just mow a field a couple of times a month [my D2 auto is currently serving that purpose] or tow a trailer. But then I'd be moving totally away from the beauty of the original RR. What do you think?

Davo    47

Come on, young man, self-promotion is what our brave new world is all about, isn't it? :P But anyway, I only put up a link to your latest episode in this thread in case people haven't found it before or whatever the case may be. 

My Rangie was an automatic and I changed it to an LT95. This was because the manual is much simpler as the auto needs a kickdown linkage, oil cooler with associated lines, a complicated hi-lo and difflock linkage, an inhibitor switch, and a fair bit of real estate between the front seats for the shifter. Also, I had the TF727 and there was no lock-up for cruising. So for ease of long-term ownership and less to have to troubleshoot, I prefer the manual. And I like the way I'm using the same drivetrain as the original Range Rover, here in the 21st century. However, now I've got a ZF box and Borg Warner transfer sitting here and maybe . . . one day . . . if I could be bothered . . . 

So, aren't you going to drive the two-door from Ireland to Greece??? 

Shackleton    61

Oh yeah another trip beckons but a total restoration first. I sold my LT95 but I loved it, rock solid. I'm running a Defender R380, and to be honest it feels quite like the LT but with the extra ratio. I'd love to put an overdrive on it too. Maybe I'll go that way, it'll probably cost about the same as if I want auto.