New Series - RR Heavy

Shackleton

Where'd you hear that mate? It'd be very bad news for me because I'm already on the back foot - Google want to see lots of social media pointing to a channel, and of course lots of views and interaction. I don't have other social media, I neither have time for it nor want it. 

I forget, but was a very experienced YouTube, backed up by a Google post.

I'll be honest, I'm in the Web game and have been for 15 years, to be successful in YouTube land, you need it backed up by social media.

I hate it too, but that's the game you've chosen.

I do SO love your content though, keep at it.

13 hours ago, Shackleton said:

Where'd you hear that mate? It'd be very bad news for me because I'm already on the back foot - Google want to see lots of social media pointing to a channel, and of course lots of views and interaction. I don't have other social media, I neither have time for it nor want it. 

I think AvE had a rant or two about it.

2 hours ago, Bowie69 said:

...to be successful in YouTube land, you need it backed up by social media.

True that, if you're measuring success by sheer number of subs. SOUP takes all of the time I can give it whilst preserving health so all of this is moot, but for argument's sake lets say I did have time to curate a raft of social media - something the failure fearing man in me considers regularly - I haven't been able to make a connect between incessant posting [absolutely required] and the integrity of the channel. I'm seeing things differently now and I'm not sure I'd pay someone to handle my social media even if I could. I was experimenting with instagram for most of the first year and I found that posting when there was genuinely something interesting to take a picture of meant posting maybe once a fortnight. That don't cut the mustard as you well know. I'm measuring success now by the people the channel attracts - good honest people who are actually interested and didn't land because of the hype [there's no hype 😅]. The channel started for the cars and has evolved into something that can be used to put a microphone in front of people you don't usually get to hear from. I've some very cool stuff coming! The folk who are interested will find it and I can keep chatting to them p2p instead of wasting precious time lulling myself into a false sense of my own importance on social media. This is a deep and tangled web 😂

1 hour ago, elbekko said:

I think AvE had a rant or two about it.

So many rants, and so much cool info 😎

I couldn't find him talking about it but I realise it doesn't really matter, there's little even AvE can do about YT's machinations. 

I think the thing is to just post anything, a quick snap, with a simple single line quote is all you need really.

When in the workshop just take a series of snaps whenever you see something significant, save them up and spread them out between episodes.

Bad Obsession Motorsport rarely post, and rarely make videos, so you'd be one up on that sort of thing... You have regular videos, which is great, but social media teasers will drive people to the door.

As for the haters, ignore them, that is the first rule of being on the internet.

I don't understand the internet nor do I pretend to. However your doing a great job and I enjoy them. I suspect just posting realise dates on social media would help. As has been said bad obsession don't post much but look at there following granted yours is a different animal but still very good.

Mike

17 hours ago, Shackleton said:

Appreciate the encouragement lads. i have a few things in the pipeline that should garner fresh interest. I'll stave off social media for Now and see where it gets me. 😅

If you do decide to give social media a go then I know of a small sized Range Rover Classic restoration group that already has a SOUP following member content ;) 

3 hours ago, task said:

If you do decide to give social media a go then I know of a small sized Range Rover Classic restoration group that already has a SOUP following member content ;) 

I don't have FB but I just might do it for the sake of joining the RRC restoration group.

• Like 2

Numbers aren't everything, George.  It's a good, solid programme with an interesting format and a breadth of vehicle types and interviewees.  Quality doesn't always get the viewing figures in, but I reckon you will have a loyal band of watchers.  I only subscribed the other day as I never had a YouTube account before, but got today's notification.  Good luck with the move, byt he way - do you have a new workshop sorted already?

A thumbs up from me here too George. You're making some great films, and I've watched every one and been subscribed to SOUP since early on.

I've pointed a few colleagues to your channel too - from the bike and hot hatch worlds to name a couple. They have different specific interests, although all motoring related. They've all commented on what great videos you've made, and how much better they are than a lot of other YT content.

Alas I don't often remember to 'like' a  video after watching it, but that certainly doesn't mean I didn't enjoy it. IMO folk will often like things without saying as much, but the haters are always let you know. Don't be discouraged by the lack of likes.

Have you recently changed that channel name from your own name to Soup Classic Motoring? I thought for a moment I'd been unsubscribed too.

That was a great episode George, really enjoyed it and can see you've been playing title/ending credits a bit, looks good.

Seems that motivationally you are in a slightly better place too?

On 30/04/2018 at 5:53 PM, task said:

This is the kind of thing that makes it snow ball; if you post to say ten of these kinds of groups, you only need about half of the members to share it with their mates and you get into telephone numbers of viewers. the content is good enough for many people to look at it. So not doing the the social media thing would be suicidal I think. We of LR4x4 will view it all, but it is a relatively niche group. Are you posting to many forums?

One thing I will say though; with the internet generation, the attention span of many followers is not that great, So I would do more editing. It is not a criticism of the content, and I know you put your heart and soul in this, but I just think many people cannot stay focused for very long.

Keep up the good work!

Daan

Cheers gents, yeah I had a good day today pinning the axle back on the RR and feeling a bit more human again. All relevant and interesting points of view. I'm firmly in "the views aren't everything" camp, and have faith the snowball effect can and will happen, and modestly is fine by me. I'm 100% willing to bend on the social media thing if that's where it goes but the one thing I'm not doing is compromising my vision for how the show is edited to try and please the biggest number. I'm producing a series that I'd like to watch and I have an attention span. When I watch something I like to get into it and get something from it, that's why I chose time lapse and do the interviews... for anybody like me who wants to see something in detail, or hear an interesting prospective. You can jump to your preferred section too. Also one of the key instigators for me doing this in the first place was my disdain for how TV [and online media] has gotten so fickle and money driven. So many ads, so much rehashing plot lines after ads, so much manufactured drama and suspense. You watch anything an hour long these days and you're really only getting 35 mins of fresh content, and often it seems to be structured to breed idiots.

It's a case of the chicken and the egg but the stats would suggest that SOUP doesn't appeal to the millennials much, and I'm ok with that. I spent too long trying to fit in in my life to try and please anyone else. In fact I turned down a huge millennial dominated car portal who offered to promote the series. Before you tell me I'm crazy, they wanted all of my raw time lapse footage in return for some shout outs. Chancers like that preying on college graduates and those green around the ears compromise the money making abilities of real professionals.

I don't get to post on forums much despite making an effort to do so, I've had great support from here, Retro Rides, The Lotus Forums, Backroads.ie, Pistonheads, Lotusexcel.net and SELOC, that I know of. I have some really top interviewees lined up and frankly that's how I'm measuring the success of the series, it has integrity so it's garnering interest from people I never would have expected. Long may that last! 

Anyway to more interesting talk - I've a pal [and LR4x4 member] who has a Drew Bowler build going, I'm hoping he'll be up for me doing a bit on it. It's the real deal, I can't remember exactly now but I think it's one of 12 original builds. A small number anyway.

I must go over and update that thread on the Madza SL35 wiring, there's a new tried and tested version of the wiring schematic I drew up. 

• Like 1

I'm glad to hear you say that, George.  I think Daan is right in his observation of the younger generation's attention span typically being shorter, but I disagree with you changing the format to suit them - like you said, they can jump about the episodes with the drag bar if they can't focus for more than a few minutes; why should those of us with a bit more discipline, patience and interest have to have everything dumbed down for their benefit?  Just look at the mess that was Land Rover's special broadcast to see how badly that turns out!

Hold firm, George - you're on the right track with a good format.  The only difference of opinion I'd offer, which would save time and only create a small visual style change without changing tone or content is to end the motion-capture or stop-motion (or whatever the correct term is) filming, which was a nice gimmick when you started, but not necessary anymore to those who are following you as you have firmly established a show style and format which no longer needs a time consuming gimmick to be identifiable. :)

• Like 1

On 03/05/2018 at 1:24 PM, Snagger said:

...they can jump about the episodes with the drag bar if they can't focus for more than a few minutes

I'm going to pretend you didn't call the thing I put a huge effort into a gimmick :lol:  In it's defence the reason I chose to do time lapse [knowing it would add considerably to my workload] was because it's the best way to show full detail with no obstructions or distractions. Because I'm coming at everything as a novice I could see how someone who already knows all the work depicted would find it a gimmick or tedious, but many others don't and many consider it my USP. 

Anyway that's a tangent - I meant to say that I was thinking of putting links in the description of the episodes that take you directly to each section. If I'm a realist not everyone watches all the way through and it may/may not be harm to have those links present.

On 03/05/2018 at 1:50 PM, Bowie69 said:

Seconded, I am VERY pleased with the format, the detail, and actually having to engage more than a few brain cells while watching, it is great.

the brain cell engagement thing makes me very happy mate, if only I were smarter I could force you to engage more of them :lol:

On 03/05/2018 at 7:19 PM, miketomcat said:

...you should grease both sides of a gasket before fitting as it helps it stick and seal better.

I'd pull it off and do that mate, thanks a million. Ordinary high temp grease, or moly or copper what's best? [I only have those three]

Edited by Shackleton
  • Thanks 1

In the simplest sense it's from 'souped up'. But it's a catch all - fuel, oil, water.... booze :D. Later if I thought it was a natural progression I'd like to bring sailing into it. The self sufficiency that blue water sailing requires is very like the attitude a lot of LR guys have. You need to self sufficient - a navigator, a pilot, an engineer, a dare devil, a carpenter, composites expert, metal worker and cool under pressure all at once.

The cool thing is that the internet says the earliest record of the expression is early 20th century and it was used in horse racing - soup was the concoction of drugs they'd give horses to make them run faster. They were souped up. I'm making the stretch that it got carried over to cars with horsepower when they replaced horses.

• Like 2