New Series - RR Heavy

Shackleton

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Bowie69 said:

Enjoyed that, thanks George. Brave man to go back and do it right for a second time, let alone show it on camera - but we all do it, that, I am very sure of. :)

Absolutely - and it's to George's credit as so many shows and even other YT channels just show the flawless edited highlights, which is boring and really doesn't help the motivation. I'd rather see someone admit to it, and have the nerve to say "no, let's do it right, cut it out and start again".

• Like 3

14 hours ago, FridgeFreezer said:

One thing that occurred to me...

You prob noticed I've been trying to be better at that in the last few episodes. It's a case now of remembering to get the cutaway shots at the end of the day. 

13 hours ago, Bowie69 said:

...Brave man to go back and do it right for a second time...

Our cars fella, that's what I keep telling myself. Why wouldn't we all do things as best we could. It's the whole reason I stopped bringing mine to mechanics. That sense of "I don't know as much as you but I know I give more of a f^5k about it". When I was still gainfully employed one of the things we used to tell people was "you can say you don't know something, or you can prove it." Nothing worse than watching someone on YT make out like they know what they're talking about whilst not being aware their actions prove they don't.

13 hours ago, Blanco said:

....... and you aren't the only one who struggles for motivation sometimes:wacko: 

It's the curse! I look at your shed with longing eyes.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Shackleton said:

It's the curse! I look at your shed with longing eyes.

I have just been out to the shed,.... wet night.... and (at least in part) due to motivation the window frames are'nt in yet so the bench and all is soaked again.

• 2 weeks later...

Well finally getting to look at putting exterior panels back on the car. The rear qtr panels have taken days of work so far and not yet finished. I'm using riveted repair sections to sort them for now but hopefully I'll source an AC/DC TIG any day and an expert to go with it and see whats what with welding them.

Edited by Shackleton

TIG welding thin aluminium isn't easy, but I have seen video of a solder type rod that welds aluminium really strongly and only needs a blow torch.  I don't know what it's called, though.  Alternatively, as I said on the video comments, PU adhesive would be an easy solution for bits like that - it worked really well for me in the past.

It's called aluminium solder works very well usually someone demonstrating it at Landrover shows just need some patience as looks like nowts happening when your scratching it in then it flows just for info I have joined copper to aluminium with this obviously you need to tin the copper first did not need to do it but it was,a topic that was raised locally so I had a go probably never need it😁 

Edited by Stellaghost
Removal

Have seen those videos too. Thing is you seem to need a perfectly fitting piece for the rod to flow, and with poxy old carp, odd shaped repairs like I have, that's tricky. I'm scouting for an expert at the moment to to do some show and tell once I get my hands on some decent welding gear. I've no doubt TIG is tricky, but I'm up for it. 

Should say, if the rod and torch method works better for a particular job I'll be going with that.

Edited by Shackleton

The video I saw on facebook showed a guy welding up a 1/2" hole drilled in an aluminium manifold without any filler material, just starting at the edges and working the rod in a reducing spiral., and doing similar on the base of punctured Coke cans.  It filled very large holes.

Wow, have to try find that. Ultimately I want to get my head round all this stuff, I have a feel for metallurgy probably not apparent in the videos, it's the technicalities, mastery of the equipment and practice I don't have. I've gotten enough practice in with the gasless yoke that I've realised just how much the video production effects the welding. To produce stop motion for a seam weld in thin sheet I was having to work with a higher heat than optimal and stitch, where a better result is gotten with a lower heat and not stopping between each stitch to take a frame, instead running a bead for say an inch and then taking a frame. It's been a real eye opener and I'm much more confident with thinner and thinner stuff.

Puts me in mind of the early RR's with the bolt in floors. The section over the transmission is biscuit tin thin, but I'm looking forward to having a go at it when I get the two door going. I cut that section out to the Defender R380.

Brazing is another one I'm excited to get into too.