New Series - RR Heavy

Shackleton

So happy to read all this, not been an easy couple of weeks and still got a big mountain to climb in the coming few. Have to remember I'm doing what I love so there shouldn't be stress.

Davo I was very careful to keep that whole section (with the scenic stuff) to a minimum because I didn't want it thought of as indulgent. I've plenty more and really looking forward to getting any one of the cars finished so I can produce a road trip episode :)

Really good to hear the welding is looking a little better, I am learning. Weirdly it's the production process that started to inform the short bursts so I can grab a still frame every inch or so, happily keeping the heat down. I've found with the setup I have that a higher power and using a sort of continuous stitch technique gets me good penetration without blow through, it almost results in a fish scale effect when it goes well. The wire feed is inconsistent though which is frustrating.

The Esprit - well it's a personal goal to champion the car and the marque in general because its ridiculous the reputation it has that it just doesn't deserve. It should be heralded not joked about. The deeper I get into the strip down the more I love the engineering. To think manufacturers scramble to use composites these days and nearly 60 years ago those Lotus guys were getting sneered at for producing "plastic cars". Tell you one thing, it's a massive relief when I turn away from the Vogue towards the Esprit and I know there's no rust in the body lol!

The Greek connection is I'm half Greek so I've friends and family here. The folks have a place they spend part of the year and are being very generous with their garage although I did do a lot of leg work to have a roof put on it, and I built the bi-folding doors. I bought this ticket back in Feb because I knew I wouldn't have the money after that, and I was right. I was hoping to have been able to get a sponsor for some sills by now, but I haven't so I'll have to figure out something else to work on on the VW. I've just lost 9 days (of my life, and production time) to finding a new car for the folks here. It's common knowledge that the economy is in trouble, and I'm used to things being made unnecessarily difficult, but the lack of logic and rationale applied to policy making is actually incredible. Great people tortured by insane bureaucracy and corruption.

Right I'm off to finish reading this leccy fan thing :D

PS - the nekked wimmin! Oh yeah, love those. Knew I needed a tip of the hat to the traditional nudie Wurth calendar. But I didn't want a nudie Wurth calendar and thats when I realised my old posters struck a fine balance AND created a lovely image with the white Esprit. Don't know if you've noticed the hot dog girl, she's at an angle I doubt was intended by the artist. I tend to try and keep her semi out of shot :rolleyes: Also brought Annalisa in.

• Like 1

Thanks "Captain Slow" :P :stirthepot:

Nah, you're not the first to say that. I think it could be to do with the lapse sections, I find them hypnotic so when they end its a little sudden. 

I don't want to be the Youtube guy wasting people's time with 20min videos that contain 5mins of actual content, but I'll try and make it breathe a little more between sections. Personally I feel we've lost our ability to concentrate like we used to. I like getting focussed and hoovering up info. 

So now I have to figure out how to get the VW in without anyone noticing! :lol: 

Edited by Shackleton

Hey, I was only joking about the wimmins. You are obviously not trying to get viewer numbers the easy way, which is good, so please keep it like that. I do like how busy each episode is, and as you say, Youtube videos are infamous for commercial TV-style padding. I think I'll start reading up on the Esprit now - I never did have any use for a "mere" 2WD, but now, geez . . . 

Your Greek connection: I sort of suspected what your situation was, but I didn't realise where you had your car collection strewn about. It only makes your story more interesting! A bit of background like that, (such as how you got the Esprit, for instance), helps to give the story some depth and to take your viewers along for your adventure. 

Looking forward to the next episode! 

@elbekko Someone else echoed that exact sentiment and my instinct is to try and please everybody, but it's impossible so I'm resolved to do it how it feels best for me. If you look at the other side of the coin, Edd China put up a video the other day reading out his fan's suggestions for formats they'd like to see him do now he's free and easy. One of them asked for a series that described my series almost to a tee, they just didn't say Lotus in between LR and VW!

@Davo All good mate, I was thinking out loud with my producers hat on. Funnily enough the next episode has a glimpse of young lady (driver) in it. Lol at "viewer numbers the easy way". I was involved in a big media campaign some years back where I canvassed for views and votes and did everything asked and expected of me. To be frank it gave me a bad feeling to the pit of my stomach. If someone likes what I'm doing it's amazing (and I was genuinely anxious about posting here, but the supports incredible), and if it's not for someone or it's no good - no hard feelings. RE the Esprit, there's a healthy following in Australia. I know of a guy, two actually, restoring S2's like mine at the moment, both in the east though. I don't know the car but I've evidence of at least one early Esprit in W.A. too. If you thought you'd really like one nows the time, the prices have risen a little but haven't gone nuts like it's contemporaries.

I've been trying (as you may have noticed) to get more LR stuff in, just hasn't happened yet.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Shackleton said:

but it's impossible so I'm resolved to do it how it feels best for me.

Oh, absolutely. It's your show and you should make it how you want to :)

You didn't happen to be at the TLF gathering at Brooklands last week did you?

• Like 1

Haven't made any Lotus show at all yet unfortunately, I've had the car nearly two years now and I've spent the greater portion of that time doing nothing but whatever needed to be done to get the series going. Including missing important weddings and the like. Were you there? How come?

Not me this time. but I do have a soft spot for lotus and was lucky enough to drive an original elan once. The man in question "had" to come over here to buy a replacement esprit iirc after his last one got a little to warm in a workshop fire. I seem to recall an eventful return to Belgium.

Mike

11 hours ago, Shackleton said:

Haven't made any Lotus show at all yet unfortunately, I've had the car nearly two years now and I've spent the greater portion of that time doing nothing but whatever needed to be done to get the series going. Including missing important weddings and the like. Were you there? How come?

I was there, yes. As Mike said, a friend of mine is a fan of Lotuses, and dragged me along. And signed me up for marshalling :lol:

9 hours ago, miketomcat said:

Not me this time. but I do have a soft spot for lotus and was lucky enough to drive an original elan once. The man in question "had" to come over here to buy a replacement esprit iirc after his last one got a little to warm in a workshop fire. I seem to recall an eventful return to Belgium.

Mike

Ah, it was only the line to the oil cooler that came off on the M20. No biggie :lol:

Oh, we went up to Newcastle a month or so ago to pick up an Excel.

42 minutes ago, elbekko said:

Ah, it was only the line to the oil cooler that came off on the M20. No biggie :lol:

... to pick up an Excel.

How much oil did you lose before you twigged it!? I 'forgot about' a badly perished ATF hose on the D2 only to leave a 100m flush of pink on a very leafy residential street. Made apologies to some people who came out to help but they wouldn't let me clean the road!

I've always wondered about the Excel but never had someone I could ask an objective opinion of before, what did you think of it?

24 minutes ago, miketomcat said:

See told you it was an addiction. Mind after mouse and lotus is normal.

It's an addiction no joke. I've seen two more cars in the last few days and I'd have them both even though I don't even necessarily feel like doing anything with them :D. What's mind after mouse?

Careful . . . ATF is mighty flammable. I had an old power steering hose go, (my fault, naturally, knowing it was old), and that stuff sprayed under high pressure onto an exhaust manifold has probably killed quite a few cars. 

I had a look for an Esprit, just out of curiosity. Bloody hell! $69,000 or so! Looks like I'm about twenty years too late, as usual. 

Your story about the big media campaign sounds exactly like every other story I've come across from the industry. Chuck Jones always insisted they made the Looney Tunes cartoons to suit themselves, and I'll believe it. As you know, you can't force creativity. 

1 hour ago, Shackleton said:

It's an addiction no joke. I've seen two more cars in the last few days and I'd have them both even though I don't even necessarily feel like doing anything with them :D. What's mind after mouse?

Built by jez(dollythelw) and Vince assisted by fridgefreezer, TSD, myself and others. Raced in Russia  (ladoga) then bought by some crazy Belgians....

Mike

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Davo said:

I had a look for an Esprit, just out of curiosity. Bloody hell! $69,000 or so! Looks like I'm about twenty years too late, as usual. 

That Esprit is overpriced, unless there's been a jump since I started the videos, I haven't kept up. You'd have one in from the UK all paid up for half that if you kept your eye out. And if a project came up, which is unlikely but possible, you could potentially have it for less then €10k.

Edited by Shackleton

1 hour ago, Shackleton said:

Deadly! Had a good old rumage around there. You should have shown this right off the bat!

Love the "grinder-fu" tagline on the website :D

Edit: nicely done lads :)

A. I'm in that one.

And

B. I couldn't find it quickly.

Anyway back on topic keep up the good work I'm enjoying it. ;)

Mike

Re: Esprit prices. Because Australia. It would appear that you could double the price of any car in Britain and add a zero and that would be the price in AUD. It's funny, because Aussies are such tightwads usually. I shall drool over yours. Is it finished yet? :D

10 hours ago, Shackleton said:

How much oil did you lose before you twigged it!?

About all of it. Luckily it all ended up on the chase car, very little actually hit the road. Cleaned off the chase car, bought some oil and hose clamps at the nearest services, and continued on :D

10 hours ago, Shackleton said:

I've always wondered about the Excel but never had someone I could ask an objective opinion of before, what did you think of it?

It's a nice car, I've only driven it a few km, but it definitely feels like a Lotus. Not quite as focused as the Esprit, but still nice.

16 hours ago, elbekko said:

Luckily it all ended up on the chase car, very little actually hit the road. 

Hope they bought you lunch for the free rust proofing :D

Not mad on the interior styling but believe the Excel is a fine car.

• 2 weeks later...