New Series - RR Heavy

Shackleton

That's good to hear about the Esprit. I hadn't paid any attention to such things since they are merely cars and no good for anything but fast driving and impressing girls, (oh dear God I've wasted my life!), and not for lugging jerry cans through remote areas, but I dare say middle age has now given me a regard for the finer aspects of motoring. 

As for the 2-door, I've had lots of rotten experiences dealing with galvanisers which I can tell you all about it you like, but the short version is that you have to be very careful as they do stupid things. I wouldn't use galvanising again. There are other ways to deal with rust and some very good paints these days. And I've found that even after galvanising you still have to rustproof the bits inside the chassis they missed because they hung it the wrong way, and overlapping metal parts can still have rust inside them anyway! Oh, the memories . . . I need a lie down. :blink:

7 hours ago, Davo said:

...they are merely cars and no good for anything but fast driving and impressing girls...

Funny enough I haven't met a girl yet that finds the Esprit attractive. I've spoken to at least two of it's previous owners wives and whereas they appreciated it as something different, they weren't into it as a form. In fact in one photo where a WAG is sitting on the nose of it, she looks particularly fed up... "not another stop to take pictures" lol.

I don't think there's a perfect solution for a chassis unless it's galvanised from new, paint can't get inside the chassis any better than galv and my thinking is at least with the galv I don't have to worry about it again in my lifetime... even if it does start to rust from the odd joint.

@Anderzander don't hurt your eyes ;)

• Like 1

I’ve just watched the first 5 episodes back to back - it’s brilliant !   Well done.

I think it should really work out for you. You are really engaging on camera, the professional quality production, the fact that you have 3 cars on the go and put yourself in there as a beginner so it encourages others , and the fact that you intersperse the rebuilds with such varied content all should give you a broader range of interested people.

Great stuff - I wish you every success and thank you !

• Like 1

Hey George only just seen this, awesome work and I’m really happy that you got your dream to take shape. You talked the talk and now you’re walking the walk!

I must admit I was a little excited for you when I watched it, after our chats knowing how much you must have put unto this. I have a lot of respect and admiration for people that follow their dreams, you didn’t give up and that shows in your work. Once again top job George 👍

I’ve not long come back on the forum myself so your video has come at the right time for me as I’ve just started thinking about doing a restoration myself. I acquired a soft dash just over a year ago (yes I parted ways with both 2 doors) which has sat on my parents drive doing nothing but annoying my mum. I also have another RRC in my garage also doing noting except for annoying me and maybe even my misses a little. So I’ve just started searching for parts that are missing on the soft dash so I can do a little work when the days get better as no indoor space to work on it. Your TV series will help and has already helped to inspire me, I might need a few more bags of milk teeth sending over though, to see me though some of the more challenging days 😉

Edited by reggie

Thanks Zander, anyone you can share with is would be a big help. Great thread Davo thanks for the link, the kind of job I want to do on the '73.

Reggie the sunroof is still awaiting fitment but it's getting closer to the time. Thanks for the words man, I was talking about restoring my two door for years here, and was working towards it for most of that time. Feels good to think back now but I was never going to let it go. Sorry to hear you sold the brown car but hey a soft dash is a nice thing and it won't be that long until it's classic for tax purposes [unless the UK system is different to ours]. 

Can't believe my luck today - found an exposed hinge bonnet for the two door and it seems to be in great nick, for buttons. Have  pulled the rear axle off the Vogue in the last few days, it's mechanically sound but the diff pan is badly rusted and has already had a repair... with chemical weld <_<

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, AV8R said:

Didn't want to spoil your little quiz on YT but those dogbone radiator caps were easy .

Thanks, I'm just catching up on comments and enjoying the guesses. Care to take a stab at exactly what they're from?

41 minutes ago, Anderzander said:

...you definitely need a 2nd mic though!  Has it been longer between this last episode and the previous one than usual? Or have I just grown impatient 😀

Have been working on a budget for a second mic set. The day before yesterday on the way to reshoot a link I destroyed my mic. Rushing. I've managed to take it apart without doing further damage and if I can solder it back together without melting anything or compromising the shielding I'll be back in biz, and back on track budget wise for a second mic. It was one of the litany of f'ups in the past ten days that contributed to the episode being about 3 days late. I've eight days to produce episode 20.

Edit; in hindsight I've a feeling the self correcting warping of the metal brake was just the heat dissipating maybe.

Edited by Shackleton

20 hours ago, Shackleton said:

Care to take a stab at exactly what they're from?

Model A Ford is a popular car with such a radiator cap. Being popular makes it a bit more afFORDable ;-) so I would take my chances on the A.

afFORDable... oh dear :lol:

Yeah they're from a Model T. Repro of course but I thought a nice touch. Couldn't understand how a rad cap had a hole in the top and then I twigged it's for your hood ornament. I'm Hoping that with these and a few other small details I can make the brake look a little less DIY.

• 1 month later...

Not sure he knows, but I really enjoyed talking LR with Richard. I think LR would do well to have him as some sort of spokesperson for local or online media.

Cheers Stephen! Funny I was trying to not sound like I was worried about popularity but I'm always trying to keep the episodes interesting so there might have been a subconscious fish for feedback in that. I supposed what I meant was that if it's not your cup of tea it's all good, it's fairly niche, but don't miss the episodes over the simple click of a setting.

• Like 3

George, I was subscribed to your channel and used to get the notifications pop up on both my phone and desktop, then about ep.20 (give or take) they just stopped and I only stumbled on new episodes by chance, so I guess YouTube must have changed something. I've re-subscribed now as you explained in your last video.

Anyway, your drop in views might well be YouTube's fault, not yours.

PS: I enjoy seeing all the progress and time lapse stuff, keep it up.