Oil suction pumps for oil change

reb78

What are people's thoughts on suction pumps for oil changes?

I always worry they won't get everything out and so you end up mixing new oil with the carp left in the sump. On the other hand, lots of garages use them. 

Reason on for asking is that lidl have these in this week

https://www.lidl.co.uk/en/Non-Food-Offers.htm?articleId=1723

As my engine ages and mileage goes up I am wondering about starting to do an interim oil change (no filters) at 3000 miles - maybe use the suction pump for this to make it super quick and then a proper (filters and drain via sump plug) at 6000 miles. 

The mower was my other plan for this pump too!

Tried one (brothers) on my old BMW. Took ages, go and have a cup of tea while it does it's stuff. Then tried again. Moved it around. Pushed and pulled to make sure I couldn't get another drop out.

Then just for fun I pulled the sump plug and got another litre out. I won't be using one regularly for any vehicle I service.

Was useful for cleaning out the cartridge filter holder mind :-)

Edited by Orgasmic Farmer

I bought a Pela 14 litre one the other day (not cheap at £105!) as the 4.4TDV8 engine on my old mans Range rover does not have a normal sump plug. It has a fitting which points towards the side of the car with a plastic push fit connector on it.

If you try and drain it via the sump oil will go everywhere except where you want it!

We used the Pela and measured just under 9.5 litres out in 15 mins. I used this time to change the air filters and the cabin filter. Once done we took the push fit connector off and only managed to get an egg cup full of oil out.

I also tried it on a 300tdi but struggled to get all the oil out and dropped the sump for the last litre.

I guess they work better on some cars than other and it is worth measuring the oil coming out to make sure you have got it all. We will always use it on the TDV8 Range Rovers now just to reduce the mess created!

Are modern vehicles designed for these suction pumps? I guess a dip in the sump beneath the dipstick tube to make that the lowest part might make the suction pumps more effective at removing all of the oil than the flat sump on my 200tdi?

I suppose that would work if the tube was rigid enough and didn't bend when hitting the bottom of the sump. (I know how that reads but I can't re-word it!) 

Don't some cars come without a dipstick these days? (Oh I've done it again. Ok, I'll stop now.) 

The 4.4 TDV8 has no dipstick (oil level checked from the dashboard) but in place of the dipstick tube is a tube going to that sump 'plug' fitting. The oil vacuum pump pipe wouldn't even go down it so I used some rubber pipe on the top of that tube and joined it to the pump tube

Think its a matter of trying it and see as it mite work on some engines and not others so not always the pump that's at fault as sometimes the dip-stick mite not be fitted where the deepest part of the sump is like on older engines, I used one when I was in the FLT game working on older forklifts and I borrowed it to service a mates car and it sucked most of the oil out but not all so had to remove the sump plug :mellow:

Yes both plugs, which makes this tool even more important as Land Rover in their wisdom located the second one to the back of the engine directly over the subframe!

Guess you know that though