In Car Entertainment

I've never been much of an audiophile and even less so now I drive a Defender but thought I'd make a contribution on here about in car entertainment.

Ive just managed to bag a Pure Highway H260dbi DAB radio and CD Player from Halfords for £40 cos it was a refurb and missing a lead (which I had at home anyway). These are normally £129 but I did see that Halfords had new ones for £89. I had to buy a DAB aerial seperately for £19.99 but the whole process was an easy swap over from the old antique in my Landy and the sound is amazing (even through some inferior 4 inch speakers) The DAB has absolutely no hiss and locks onto dozens of channels easily. The head unit is also Bluetooth enabled and so I can stream music from my phone too. This head unit had some great reviews when I did a bit of research and was even top rated at its original price.

Before you all scream spam, I am not and never have been connected with Halfords or Pure but thought I'd give you the heads up just in case you are on the forum looking to upgrade your I.C.E. 

I've been considering DAB for a while (I think they have turned down the transmission power on Radio 4 as I can no longer pick it up in a lot of places).  Advice on what works is useful!

What Antenna did you buy and where did you locate it?

Si

Si,

Halfords sold the Autoleads DAB antenna for £19.99 which seems about the price for one of these everywhere but you could try Fleabay.

I routed the cable through the dashboard at the side, fortunately there was a 'Defender gap' to squeeze it through, popped out the plastic grille and fished it through to the centre console with a piece of stiff wire taped to the lead and plugged it into the back of the radio.

The antenna has a peel off back to it and sticks solidly to the inside of your windscreen, I sited mine in the top corner of the passenger side. There is another peelable back from the 'ground' of the antenna amplifier which just about stretches over the windscreen seal and sticks to the painted metal of the window frame. (You do not need bare metal for the ground!)

The cables leading from the antenna to where they disappear under the dashboard then tuck behind the plastic interior trim at the side of the window which is screwed back with two self tappers.

I love Planetrock and really miss it when I'm driving so I'm a happy bunny now!

The DAB radio has lots of features and you can even change the colour of the display to exactly match that of your gauges and dashboard lights.

I'm not big on I.C.E, it took me years to upgrade from a cassette player but having DAB radio come through the speakers  so clearly is a big bonus.....

Edited by Coventrykid
  • Like 1