Steering Problem

Les Brock

Well here we go ..

Fault - Steering jams  on full lock

Jacked front end up, both wheels of ground, wheels wont turn either way, transfer box in neutral wheels rotate as expected.

transfer back into high, passenger side down - wheel locked - would not move either way no matter what gear/transfer box was in

Lift other wheel up off ground and on stand  turn steering, all moves left-right fine, full lock to full lock

Off stands, try and move it, as long as steering moved a little each way fine, go to full lock and it jams solid, ( drivers side wheel seems to lean more than passenger side but that might just be the camber)  with a bit of shuffling I can get it straight again.

Up on stands once again, strip front end, both CV's seem to be fine, but a bit tight - was there an issue with Ashcroft CV's burring ??????

Going to clean them out and  report back

Any idea's .....................I'm at a total loss

Cheers Chaps

As far as I am aware they were, Ashcroft HD Cv's one piece. one thin shim and  circlip holding cv into stub axle.

Drove fine on Saturday, just went to get her off the drive at early o'clock Sunday morning to go to Newbury and locked, you can see the scuff marks on road as though front locker was in and not allowing diff to do its job when turning, and steering in unbelieably heavy, when stationary and  to suffle to get it to move to get it  back on the  drive !

Pulled half shafts from CV's one of the  "C" clips holding the shaft into the CV was broken ??

The alloy collar has slid up the spline about 20mm on the long shaft, the one with the broken C clip if this has any bearing ??

4 hours ago, Les Brock said:

was there an issue with Ashcroft CV's burring ??????

Just in case it's useful...

http://www.ashcroft-transmissions.co.uk/images/source/CV_joint_rework.pdf

I've got a pair of early Ashcroft HD joints that I keep meaning to rework at some point. They were very tight - difficult to move by hand - but I couldn't spot a problem when they were on the vehicle.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Les Brock said:

Pulled half shafts from CV's one of the  "C" clips holding the shaft into the CV was broken ??

The alloy collar has slid up the spline about 20mm on the long shaft, the one with the broken C clip if this has any bearing ??

Taking the CV off the halfshaft can break the clip.... I broke a brand new one when I fitted the CV and realised I'd not fitted the spacer.... off came the CV and a broken clip. Cue a wait to pick a new clip the following day.

1 hour ago, ballcock said:

Sounds like you diff is jamming, with both wheels off the ground and an open diff the opposite wheel will rotate the other direction. Could your half shaft be going too far in jamming the diff?

Yes, when I had both wheels off the ground, the opposite wheel rotated the opposite way but only with the transfer box in neutral.

Dave, front axle is currently down to just the tube, I pulled the air line off the solenoid to check it was not engaged all seems free.

its always possible the rear is stuck in :huh:, but would'nt have thought that have an effect on the centre diff/front end

Hi all,

Finally got a few mins to myself,when it was dry -  jacked up rear offside (dont forget only thing left in the front is the diff) zero rotation ....................:o:o:huh::blink::(

into Neutral, centre diff unlocked - checked with spanner ;) - still zero rotation, looks like rear diff lock stuck in !

Wibbling at mo trying to get it to unlock !

5 hours ago, Les Brock said:

Hi all,

Finally got a few mins to myself,when it was dry -  jacked up rear offside (dont forget only thing left in the front is the diff) zero rotation ....................:o:o:huh::blink::(

into Neutral, centre diff unlocked - checked with spanner ;) - still zero rotation, looks like rear diff lock stuck in !

Wibbling at mo trying to get it to unlock !

You didn't happen to leave the hand brake on?