Clutch change

On 28/03/2017 at 1:34 AM, paul Ireson said:

Can i change clutch on my 1984 Defender 2 1/4 petrol by taking engine out instead of struggling underneath taking box out?

Either way is similarly complex, on a four poster I think dropping the box is a lot easier, if you only have a crane its more a 50/50 choice. 

I would make a judgement call based on the state of the vehicle and any other work I wanted to do at the same time.

On a 1984, possibly footwells to do etc...

HTH

As other's have said, you can do it either way and if you have lifting equipment, the engine out option is probably the easiest, it's worth throwing some paint over the chassis whilst you have room to get at it.

My clutch failed this year whilst I was abroad, we dropped the gearbox using a trolley jack and basic toolkit. The seatbox and transmission tunnel don't need to come out if you take the selectors off the top of the gearbox first.

23 hours ago, Boris113 said:

As other's have said, you can do it either way and if you have lifting equipment, the engine out option is probably the easiest, it's worth throwing some paint over the chassis whilst you have room to get at it.

My clutch failed this year whilst I was abroad, we dropped the gearbox using a trolley jack and basic toolkit. The seatbox and transmission tunnel don't need to come out if you take the selectors off the top of the gearbox first.

As boris113 said, using the trolley jack method that's the best way I have found to do the clutch!

Edited by artwigwa
Missing text