Help Required ; 2002 Defender TD5 Starting Issue

Hi there, 

Here we have a 2002 Defender TD5 with around 140'000 miles. She has never been a problem starting but recently on the first start up of the day she just turns over and won't start for around 30 seconds ; she will always start just after a prolonged period of time and it also helps if you push the throttle down around half way ! 

I have also attached a link to a video of how the truck sounds when you try to start her, if you guys need anything else please don't hesitate to let me know and I can get you more videos or details of the faults occurring - Lastly, the truck really doesn't like to go above 60 mph and seems to have gotten very sluggish whilst trying to get there, I know that its no race car but she seems to have lost her torque and power slightly.

The video of the start up is on youtube and the link is ; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n19MptYfAEg

Thanks for looking and of you have any idea at what is causing this please post the solution ! 

Also as soon as it's fixed I'll let you all know what it was ?

Thanks for looking and kind regards,                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 Mark

Edited by extreamlandy90

I'm no expert on TD5s Mark but would be looking at fuel supply. It sounds like the fuel in the system is draining back to the tank being replaced by air from a tiny hole in your fuel system somewhere hence the prolonged start first thing.

I'm sure an expert will be along shortly but hopefully that will give you a start point. 

HTH

Mo

Mo - Thank you for getting back to me, it is much appreciated ! That is good room for thought ; I forgot to mention that I have also changed the MAF Sensor not 1000 miles ago and it made a slight difference but only for a few days - This may just be my imagination though !!

Thanks for the advice and talk soon.

Mark

Mark,

Where are you located?

There may be a member nearby with some diagnostics equipment that might help.

Do you know when your injector loom was last changed?

Do you have a lot of oil in the Red plug that goes into your ECU under the drivers seat?

Has your vehicle had the EGR blanked or removed?

Neil