Mach 5 and rubber (not tyres)

miketomcat

I have some mach 5 beadlock rims that have been sealed (I use the term loosely) with silicone. I want to make a rubber gasket for said rims. What is the collective ideas for best thickness and type of rubber to use I'm thinking 3mm nitrile.

IMAG1575.jpg

Mike

Edited by miketomcat

I would do a metal ring with the bolt holes in and a slightly thicker rubber ring (or o-ring) for a seal. If you just use rubber there is no compression limiter, so you cannot tighten them up. Other option, maybe a manhole cover o-ring in between the bead, the rim and the locking ring? This was used on the john sales split rims.

Daan

5 hours ago, Wytze said:

is it possible to get a groove turned in to one of the parts and just use a O.ring? 

If you have a lathe that can chuck a 16" wheel you can...

I saw this on ebay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Expanded-neoprene-cord-rubber-seal-3mm-to-10mm-diameter-10-metre-length-/162006540101?var=&hash=item25b8579f45:m:mRu5Gl69l_TDruYVg7ZofrQ

If you create a large o-ring by gluing the ends, the in between rim, tyre bead and locking ring idea could be a decent option I think.

I'm just remembering the Stazworks rims on Mouse, they had a big ~5mm dia rubber O-ring that sat in a machined groove in the two halves of the rim. I was envisaging a laser-cut ring that acted as a spacer for the bolts to be nipped up and also added a recess for an O-ring like that. Very similar to what Daan's suggesting I think.

That said, the more I look at those rims the less I like the design & the less I like the idea of driving the wife & kids along the motorway with them.

Fridge they are no worse than the millions of alloy split rims out there plus unlike most bead locks the tyre sit on the rim then the rim is bolted to the rest of the wheel. I might well just stick with sealant as I'm more that likely to change to 33" tyres in the not to distant future.

Mike

Hi. I have used three layers of adhesive plastic. Easy to install, just cut off excessive material, seals perfectly. Istantly ready to inflate tire, no waiting for silicone to dry.This plastic is made for coating school books etc. Low cost and available almost everywhere in grocery store here in Finland. I don't know do you have this stuff. Anyway works great.

Edited by -88-

• 2 weeks later...