Hi

I'm looking to build a tray back defender with a existing 2.5na chassis I have and a discovery 1 300tdi as a donor vechile. Is it possible to mount the r380 gearbox to a 2.5 engine and use everything existing on the discovery on the defender. Any information  will be grateful.

Cheers 

I am with the rest here, why not use the 300tdi, the 2.5N/A is pretty slow and underpowered.

As for the rest I guess use the chassis that is in the best condition but grafting bulkhead outrigger on to a disco chassis is not that much work concidering the rest of the cage work that would be needed for a tray back, all the running gear would swap over if needed, keeping the disco brake system complete would probable be best as the 90 would have drums on the back.

If this is a pure off road vehicle it is simple if it is planned to go on the road in the UK have a look at the assorted legal issues BEFORE you start, covered in various other threads and places, lots of people ignore them and get away with it but best to go in with knowledge and then make your own decision.