HD drive flanges

After pulling my shafts to fit the Detroit locker I caught a peep of what was behind my drive flanges.....I quickly put every thing back together pretending I diddnt see anything! 

now the time has come to do something about it. im in the proses of buying new bearings, discs and pads but am curious about these HD flanges, not for the HD part but for the spin on cap that should hopefully prevent nastiness from creeping in. Are they as water tight as they look or are they just something shiny?

are there any brands to look for or avoid? I'm leaning towards the KAM ones at the moment but there are raptor ones and terrafirma(urghh) or should I just stop messing around and get Ashcroft?

Thanks guys, I went for KAM ones in the end as they seem to be a good all rounder  with the o ring. Would love the Ashcroft flanges as the quality is second to none but can't justify £108 a corner when I got the KAM ones for £150 for all 4. The 10 bolt design is also intreaguing....

thanks for the heads heads up on the raptor flanges, that would have made me very angry very quickly! And im a firm believer of buy cheap buy twice but I think KAM have a fairly decent reputation? 

• Like 2

I diddnt realise that, the ad states you can drill the extra 5 holes for "maximum strength". i suppose there is nothing stopping that really and it has been done. So are the 2 flanges on a different pcd or different bolt size?

IMG_0568.thumb.PNG.29ac44923981ae78133cf4715aecfa3a.PNG

I have a 1984 One_Ten. At various points during the time I have owned it I have fitted all sorts of bits n pieces to the axles. When I converted to Vented front discs and rear discs I fitted the later type, flatter, drive members. Then I had a prolonged chat with Ashcrofts about the merits of various items so now it runs their half shafts in the disc brake back axle and is fitted with the earlier, deep type, drive members ( I also removed the stub axle oil seals at the same time) The front is running a 4 pin diff, Ashcroft half shafts, Ashcroft AEU2522 type CVs and Ashcroft drive members. This has been the set up for about 12 years now.

where was I? Oh yes, the drive members have been swapped back and forth between the various hubs without any problem whatsoever as have the retaining bolts, from the very early plain bolts to the later flanged bolts. Thus empirical research suggests that either type of drive member should fit either style hub and the threads are the same

Edited by neil110

21 hours ago, dangerous doug said:

Thanks guys, I went for KAM ones in the end as they seem to be a good all rounder  with the o ring. Would love the Ashcroft flanges as the quality is second to none but can't justify £108 a corner when I got the KAM ones for £150 for all 4. The 10 bolt design is also intreaguing....

Hi, yes, ours are dearer but not £ 108 / corner, ours are £ 108 (inc VAT) for a pair, we don't have a huge margin on them, this is just what they cost with UK sourced EN24T and being machined in the UK,

thanks,

Dave

21 hours ago, dangerous doug said:

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, ashtrans said:

Hi, yes, ours are dearer but not £ 108 / corner, ours are £ 108 (inc VAT) for a pair, we don't have a huge margin on them, this is just what they cost with UK sourced EN24T and being machined in the UK,

thanks,

Dave

Ah, the impression I got from your site is that there were sold singularly. Shame as everything I have had from Ashcroft has been spot on so I have delved into the unknown needlessly 

Small update on the subject

Do not buy these if you have THICK flanges.

my rear axle runs thin flanges so no problem there.  my front axle has thick flanges which is where the problems begin. KAM made a spacer ring(KAM102) to convert their flanges to a thick flange, they no longer make this and allmakes (who now seem to have bought the rights to a lot of KAMs products) do not wish to take up manufacture of them. KAM aftercare: non existent 

but thin flanges.....can't fault them so far, fit The splines nicely, nice snug fit in the hub hub nut spins on beautifully with one finger.

Overall verdict unless you want 10 bolts going into your hub, just get Ashcroft 

IMG_0682.thumb.JPG.ecb61bcf2783068111532251ccd99e85.JPG