Suggestions for rear speakers in 110 CSW

HI, please excuse the lazy approach in asking for ideas. I normally do a lot of research for stuff or to fix problems before I post a topic. In this case though I think it's better to use the direct approach and "ask the audience".

I want to fit a pair of rear speakers in my 1996 110 CSW, fitting them up in the top, somewhere above the rear quarter lights and wonder what peeps have used. I know I could start searching but I'm sure that someone will have a good solution that would save some time. Does anyone have suggestions please? Ta in advance.

Most of the sound comes from your front speakers, the rears provide fill in and generally improve the overall effect.

Your best bet would be to fit a couple of the LR rear speaker pods that fit in the lower corners at the back.

These will take a 5 1/2" two way speaker and will be as good as you need.

The reason we want rears is for when we are camping. There's so much stuff loaded that we cant hear the fronts unless the doors are open and then it's too loud for others!

Are the pods the ones like these? If so, do they go in the top corners? They say they just need a trim - as per the pics. However it's potentially spendy, starting at £40 and still no speakers!

I made some speaker boxes that are mounted either side of the rear door for my 110. They follow the curve of the roof so fit neatly and take round 6inch kenwood 3 ways. I'll get some pics when I get a mo (along with the pics of my seats you asked for :) )

These rear speakers are in addition to a 10 inch sub and decent kenwood 4 inch shallow 2 way speakers in the front. 

Thanks reb78 that would be good. I'm hoping to mount them high up as there's less chance of them getting blocked by boxes or the fridge. In any case I've modded my rear light cover on the nearside to include some USB and cig outlets so that area won't work. I'm not trying to blast more noise out when travelling, more just to hear something when we are stopped. We are off to the west of Ireland soon and we might need to drown out the sound of the waves, wind and rain  but I nope not! :)

I've got a pair mounted immediately below the headlining on the rear panel each side.  We camp/sleep in the vehicle, and are often fairly fully loaded, and they are out of the way here.  Can't remember the make, but they work OK.  We only use the ICE (!:wacko:) when traveling so don't need it when camping or for out-of-vehicle listening.

Mike

19 hours ago, Peaklander said:

What holds them in there Western? Is the headlining strong enough on its own? I hadn't thought of that position if it is.

just got spire nuts clipped to headliner, seems to be ok, they haven't fallen out yet, fitted them years ago.

My friend (also named Simon) has a pair of regular HiFi bookshelf speakers mounted in the back.  The sound out of them is impressive, not from a volume but quality perspctive.

I wonder if, for your application they might be a better option than car specific speakers?

Si

Thanks guys that's really useful.

@Troll Hunter ICE ha! That's almost verging on a trade descriptions act transgression :)

@reb78 - looking very, very nice. Certainly that's the place for them. I Like that at lot.

@western - I think my headlining is too saggy. The possible problem is that there's quite a thickness of bubble insulation behind it. I'll have a good look soon as I have to take the headlining down to run a couple of cables from a solar panel

@simonr - well it's a thought. I'll search for a few pictures and get some sizes.

Thanks again

Tim

I like them and they are well out of the way there and sound good. In the rear side of the roof behind them, there is a bracket that has a fir tree fastener in it normally. I drilled it out and fitted a riv nut so i could bolt the speaker boxes up there. I wanted 6x9's, but there isn't the space! They were just made out of thick MDF glued and screwed together.

You can also see pics of my sub install here:

http://forum.lro.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=86926&sid=3a799b5c00f7fd445d5191829d40426c&start=30

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Yes the speaker pods are quite dear, typical LR parts price extortion. But have a look on Ebay, l bought mine from there at £35 for two.

The advantage (with the genuine LR pods) is, certainly on TD5, that the wiring will be already there. So just remove the metal corner pieces, fit the pods, fit the speakers, and plug the wires in to the speakers

Note that if you have side facing rear seats, you have to remove the seat bases to fit the pods.

Edited by Lightning