New aerial needed

reb78

A kamikaze pigeon took out my aerial on the 110 on the motorway last weekend. What are folks thoughts on whether it is worth ditching the external aerial and upgrading to a DAB one? Can you get external DAB aerials that could go in the place of the original and do these offer better reception than the offerings that you stick on the windscreen?

The reception on my DAB radio wasn't great, no idea where the aerial was, so got one of the ones that sticks either side of the window and the reception is fine. I bought it from an audio dealer who said that the best reception was the shark fin design which i decided not to go for as it mean't drilling holes and spraying it to colour match the car, the type I have is what they consider to be the second best. I think they charged something like £50 fitted so I'm sure the aerial on it's own can't cost a lot. 

My son in law moved to DAB when his Touran's standard offering was nicked. He has an inexpensive unit and a stick on aerial and it works fine.

Round these parts DAB reception is patchy and my Golf's unit will switch over to the same station on FM if DAB is lost, and only if it's transmitted on FM of course so Radio 6 just goes blank.

This would imply that you need an analogue aerial for the FM too and thus the DAB units probably have both antenna inputs.

Probably it's best to check that DAB is reliable in your parts if you don't replace the normal aerial.