island-4x4.co.uk "THE WORST EXPERIENCE PURCHASING ON THE WEB"

Muttland

I recently purchased part of LR on the 4island-4x4.co.uk

The payment used in this case was PayPal.

The payment was made in two parts, one for the parts and another for the shipment.

We are from Uruguay, far from England ... very difficult to make a complaint

The days passed ..... and no news of my purchases.

Some emails were sent to island-4x4.co.uk ......... No replies were received. Total Quiet on the 4island-4x4.co.uk   (?????¿¿¿¿¿)

A total lack of respect for customers.

I had to turn to PayPal to be told something.

Very bad procedure of this company

In several cases I bought LR  parts in England in differents LR Parts   stores  and never had problems with them.

I'm going to advise my Uruguayan friends not to use that supplying house

H. Enrique de Soto

Club Land Rover Uruguay

http://www.clublandroveruruguay.org/

Edited by Muttland

It has been said on here before... if you are buying stuff and all goes well, they (like most other suppliers) are fine.  However, when issues arise, many of these suppliers are poor at customer service.  I prefer to use PayPal for my payments, as I did with Island 4x4 because there is some buyer protection.  I got a refund through PayPal escalation on a purchase when I heard nothing back from Island 4x4, and I have since purchased from them without issue.

Nice to see Island 4x4 viewing & responding on here. For my tuppence worth and from my experience I would suggest that the response to queries at island 4x4 needs to be improved considerably - it sounds like the OP raised a dispute with paypal as they didn't get a timely (or any) response which naturally sets alarms ringing when buying remotely over the internet.

I used to use Island 4x4 as my primary parts supplier for the workshop but had to switch for the same reason which is a shame as the delivery time was better than anywhere else.

I have been buying quite a lot from Island 4x4 lately as their prices are good, they normally have an OEM option for most parts and everything always seems to get to me on a before 12:45 next day UPS delivery. I also like LR Direct as there are always lots of options of manufacturers, but they tend to be a bit more expensive.

I was actually thinking about starting a thread saying how impressed I'd been with Island 4x4, but I've never had any problems so I guess you don't know until it goes wrong. I did have to return something to paddocks once and it took 6 weeks for the refund to be issued and there was a lack of communication. I did eventually get the refund and an apology by email though.

Dave

I tend to use Island 4x4 first.

Ive found them helpful in the past. That being said I haven't bought anything from them for 6 months or so.

I did have to swap out a wrong part a while ago (over 18months) and I dont remember it being a pain. They sent a replacement part and collected the wrong part.

Andy

Island have been a mixed bag for me. I once bought a bearmach copper rad from them for the 200tdi. I had to chase after about three weeks to find out where it was. No stock and couldn't get any. I seem to remember waiting about another month (plus more chasing) for the refund. This was a bit silly but i got the impression i was simply being a pain for asking for my money back for something that they couldnt supply (and probably shouldnt have had listed)

On the other side though, I asked them for a genuine seal once that they didnt stock, but other bits i had ordered via them had to come from LR anyway. They added the genuine seal to the order for no extra cost.

Never used them - heard a mixed bag of good and bad. Heard worse about Paddocks

I buy from my local vendor, as do a number of my friends from foreign climes. The vendor has an eBay site and can use various parcel delivery systems internationally

In the old days, Richard James Land Rovers in Avonmouth shipped stuff all over the world, to the remotest places; like Pitcairn and Bog Monsters Gaff. Now they are an international shipping company

• 4 weeks later...

Just wanted to add a further comment to this thread. I have had to place three orders recently and because of price, i placed them with Island 4x4. There was a small problem with one caused by me losing internet connection in the middle of checkout which resulted in the paypal payment going through, but no items registering with Island 4x4. This was all sorted out quickly the next day and the order re-submitted.

So, just to add some balance, pretty good service for these three orders.

• 1 month later...

Well, after defending Island 4x4 above, I now find myself struggling to get a refund for a seized viscous fan hub. Bought mid May, fitted a few weeks later, seized on all of the time.

I sent a polite email two weeks ago, no reply, so followed with a phone call a few days later - was promised a response that day. None came. Sent a second email last week asking for a response and refund. No reply. Tried to ring multiple times. No one picks up. Have now sent a third email asking for a response and a refund otherwise i will go through PayPal.

When they answered the phone almost a fortnight ago, they said they were busy with orders - that's fine, but don't simply ignore the few people with problems, otherwise there will be no more orders!!! I am £60 down with a failed new viscous hub in the garage at the moment! Just put a big order in for about £200 worth of parts with LRDirect - Island 4x4 will not be getting any more of my money until this is sorted.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, so it looks like I was definitely wrong to defend Island4x4 earlier in this thread. I sent the viscous fan back over a week ago. It was received by them according to the courier 7 days ago. I have emailed asking them to confirm receipt and when I can expect my refund but I have had no response at all. I do not know the process or the timescales and £60 of my money, plus the return postage amount is sat in someone else's account. 

Island4x4 if you bother to check this thread, I would appreciate a response of some form. This isn't good enough. Despite you being cheaper, Paddocks and Britcar have just had another £200 of my cash so you are losing out............

Any other suggestions on how to deal with this? I paid through paypal.

Another week on and no refund for the postage with no reply to requests for it to be processed. Useless. Its just over a fiver, but its the principle now. I assume I can't get this back through paypal as they have refunded the original item?

If you register for the feature, PayPal will refund returns. I can't remember the £ limit but they will give you several per year.

I've used this two times this year. You need to have proof of postage like a pic of the receipt. It's fairly straightforward and you can read about it on their help / FAQ pages.