3.5 efi throttle linkage

clivebrown

Hi All, Ive entered the world of RRC, I've never worked on a v8, (only diesel defenders). I want to restore this 1987 3.5vogue to std, there is minimum rust, but the efi had been removed before. It has been put back on, but the throttle linkages aren't connected. I have two cables, one the accelerator and another that I don't know what it's for. Does anyone have a good clear picture of the linkages connected? Cheers Clive

87FFB21D-3642-43A4-AEA7-5332B4C911AC.jpg

The other cable is indeed the kickdown cable for the auto gearbox. If you have a manual box on the car you don't need it & can ignore it.

If it's an auto you do & Ashcroft say you shouldn't run an auto with the kickdown cable disconnected: 

'Set up

If the vehicle is a Disco I or Range Rover Classic under no circumstances drive with the kickdown cable disconnected, as this will cause premature autobox failure.'

http://www.ashcroft-transmissions.co.uk/automatic-gearboxes/zf4hp22.html

Have a read through this thread, esp page 2. 

Edited by paintman

• 3 weeks later...

IIRC the throttle pedal connects to the top so that when it pulls the butterfly opens against the spring.  The second cable has a small collet to prevent it slipping too far inside the outer cable, this connects below the throttle shaft so that it is relaxed at idle and pulled out under acceleration.

You can tweak the kickdown a little, as long as the cable isn't slack at idle or pulled to the end of its travel at full throttle, you can effect how sensitive the kickdown is.

On 5/3/2017 at 1:34 AM, Range Rover Blues said:

IIRC the throttle pedal connects to the top so that when it pulls the butterfly opens against the spring.  The second cable has a small collet to prevent it slipping too far inside the outer cable, this connects below the throttle shaft so that it is relaxed at idle and pulled out under acceleration.

Yes to the above.

You can tweak the kickdown a little, as long as the cable isn't slack at idle or pulled to the end of its travel at full throttle, you can effect how sensitive the kickdown is.

See the Ashcroft link & it goes into more detail about the effect.

Edited by paintman