Transfer Box Flush

I want to fit a transfer box that I've stored in the garage whilst I rebuild the newer lt230 thats currently fitted to the 110. 

Trouble is, I was sloppy when I stored the old box and had it in the garage without the pto cover on it. Welding, grinding etc means that all sorts of dust and muck could have got in to it. How should I flush this prior to refitting?

I would fill it with petrol and then turn by hand till I felt that all the bits were washed off the higher lying parts of the trf box, then drain and flush once with oil, drain and then fill with proper oil. the secret is in the repeated flushing and draining.

not entirely sure if the petrol will affect the seals etc if it is in there for a few minutes, i don't think so.

did a similar thing once when I opened my LT95 101 gearbox on the road between Kasane and Maun after it make a godawful noise and dropped the reverse gear, when i drained the oil it was just a paste of metal filings, I put some petrol in, drove 100m, drained it, filled with engine oil and drove home the 500km to Maun without a reverse gear.... oh and the reverse gear I took out of the side inspection cover the LT95's have :o

Nothing happens quickly in my life Dave! Chances are the old box will be fitted for some time. Plus it might be dependent on how quickly a friend of mine can sleeve the intermediate shaft hole on the current box for me :)

• Like 1

On 23/04/2017 at 11:21 AM, reb78 said:

Nothing happens quickly in my life Dave! Chances are the old box will be fitted for some time. Plus it might be dependent on how quickly a friend of mine can sleeve the intermediate shaft hole on the current box for me :)

sorry, i'm going into hiding......

If you must drive it - fit a magnetic drain plug! Try and catch as much swarf as possible rather than grind it into the bearings / bushings - there's a school of thought that harder metal particles get embedded in the soft metal and then act as an abrasive.

I'd blow it out with an air line, sluice it out with something thin like petrol/diesel/brake cleaner/etc. as many times as you can be bothered, then when you use it do a couple of oil changes in quick succession.