300tdi turbo upgrade.

Scooby Jim

Its technically "standard" as the compressor housings are standard, but the compressor wheel is different and made out of billet.
So its VERY VERY uprated, lol.
This is a standard compressor core (the one I got originally to rebuild, but the manifold was fudged)
WP_20170515_01_05_35_Raw1.jpg

This is the uprated one.
WP_20170514_02_06_21_Raw.jpg

Right I have fitted the turbo and given it a run, and I have good and bad.

WP_20170601_14_48_28_Raw%202.jpg

WP_20170601_16_30_04_Raw.jpg

Good being that I set it up at 18PSI at the inlet manifold and when driving the power comes in at 2000k and its a constant push all the way till you need to change, the difference is unbelievable, my mate who also has a 300tdi with his boost set to 1.5bar (daft I know) taken off the feed from the fuel pump boost feed, was in the passenger seat and his reply was "**** ME THIS THING FLIES!!" It is seriously quicker, but I haven't set up the pump as yet, and have ordered a not chinese rubbish EGT gauge and sensor, so I can setup the fuelling and boost correctly.
SuperLite%20Series%20Digital%20Pyrometer
http://thesensorconnection.com/egt-probes/meter-kits/egt-probe-kit-race-series-dp

Bad news is this. 

The original and the new oil return pipes DO NOT FIT PROPERLY, they leak badly from the upper seal, (I dont know whether this is due to the core or not, it just needs to be longer) the Bearmach hose is even shorter than the OEM hose, but need it longer, and I am having to have a new return made by my mate who owns a hydraulic hose company. So will sort this issue and make removal of the manifold and turbo MUCH easier in the future.
Also trying to flush the oil (required for new turbo esp after a failure (plus to keep warranty)), I had to cut the end off the oil feed, and push it into the return hole, and hold it here with my hand at times, as the hose flipped around the bay.
Video here.
th_WP_20170524_20_42_59_Pro1.mp4

• 3 weeks later...

After a LOT of messing around I butchered the Bearmach oil return pipe so that I could get new braided hose on it. Anyways this was done and the gasket fitted (or so I thought) and oil leaking, LOTS of choice swear words, and the gasket had turned when I loosely fitted the front bolt. So removed the bolts then refitted a new gasket, and this time the job went well (despite my hands being faaaaaaaaaaar too big to thread around the turbo manifold).

WP_20170624_15_42_58_Raw.jpg

So fitted that and got the EGT sensor probe.

WP_20170624_15_40_53_Raw.jpg

WP_20170624_15_26_32_Raw.jpg

WP_20170624_15_40_38_Raw.jpg

You can see on this pic the boost controller, plumbed between the inlet manifold and direct to the actuator.
WP_20170624_15_26_37_Raw.jpg

I plan on installing an EGT probe in the same place as yours

Any idea what a safe operating temperature will be ?

My reason for asking is that I have been told to install it on the manifold  right where it attaches to the head for a true reading

• 2 weeks later...
On 2017-6-24 at 9:16 PM, Sabre said:

I plan on installing an EGT probe in the same place as yours

Any idea what a safe operating temperature will be ?

My reason for asking is that I have been told to install it on the manifold  right where it attaches to the head for a true reading

From what I have gleamed you wanna keep it below 700 degrees C so 1292F depending on which you prefer. 
Yeah ideally would be better to have the probe directly into the flow of the hot gasses, but will have to keep an eye on it, worst case is tapping into an elbow as I have one of those. I am NOT fancying tapping into the main manifold casting.

BUT Feedback.

Having drive her now and done some fettling, diaphragm turned up about 170 degrees from standard, boost compensator screw 45 degrees forward, and about 4 clicks of the star wheel, and currently reading 19psi boost at the inlet manifold. The difference is immense, the power is continuous all the way to the next gear change, it is effortless.
I am thoroughly pleased with the outcome, and would FULLY recommend this to anyone who's turbo has gone and is planning on getting a new replacement/refurbished unit.
Whilst not being a full blown Hybrid or a variable vane jobbie this works as a benefit, it is easier to setup, easier to manage, and its a nice subtle upgrade.
The difference to the road behaviour means I can actually not have to change down for hills, the engine will quite happily sit at 15psi and cruise up, obviously if I wanted to I could increase the boost and go quicker but I don't feel the need. I am going to have to fit the EGT sensor and see whats going on and try and fiddle a little more.
On a side note a 300TDI Defender 90 couldn't catch me, it was smoking heavily (rolling coal??) and was obviously had things turned up to max, so seeing as I was 3 up, and not finished setting everything up yet (so wasnt being daft) I was pleasantly surprised.

Done a bit of heavy towing today, a car trailer with another Disco on, from my mates garage up to my other mates fathers place so we can strip it, now this was on typically Welsh roads up towards the Black Mountains, this then led to having to tow it up a steep loose ground lane, that I got stuck on as it turned to lose broken bricks and stones. The engine pulled and pulled and pulled, and didn't at any point struggle, where as before with a semi loaded Sankey trailer on you felt the weight and had to use gears, where as it happily cruised up hills and everywhere in third and was happily sat at 15psi, only reaching 19psi when an idiot pushed past me not realising I was towing.

WP_20170703_19_34_31_Raw.jpg

WP_20170703_19_35_06_Raw.jpg

WP_20170703_20_19_44_Raw.jpg

WP_20170703_20_19_54_Raw.jpg

WP_20170703_20_24_00_Raw.jpg

19691568_10158841102885316_1701803369_n.

On 27/05/2017 at 7:42 AM, pete3000 said:

Well done, looks like a proper job now. Thanks for posting the pics and the writeup. Have to let us know how it runs.^_^

It runs like a dream tbh, so effortless, its transformed the drive. If you like to waft around, but have decent performance (its a Disco they arent a performance vehicle) then this would be ideal. IMHO well worth the upgrade for the money if your turbo is duff. 

On 27/05/2017 at 8:19 AM, hangover said:

Is the core a standard replacement or a hybrid ?

Its "standard" in that it fits inside the standard housing, but Hybrid in that the compressor wheel is a different design (one more vane), and its Billet. So technically a Hybrid. But not a typical Hybrid where the hot side is standard, but the cold side is larger and a different housing. 

On 28/05/2017 at 11:18 AM, reb78 said:

Be interested to know your thoughts on the core and whether there are any gains? I think you said it was a hybrid earlier?

As above, definitely gains imho.

Hi Scooby Jim,  I'm exploring the same upgrade and came across this post, you've done a great job so thanks for sharing the rebuild. You mentioned after the first test drive the turbo wasn't kicking in till 2000rpm. Since doing the other upgrades with the fuel pump etc, did the turbo kick in around the 1500rpm mark like the manufacturer states on their site. I've seen a youtube vid by Rover Tasmania and he said the same, not much improvement before 2000rpm but better pull/power after that. Can I also ask where you got the new actuator from, I emailed Turbo Rebuild but they don't have them. Many thanks!

On 16/07/2017 at 9:48 AM, Oomac said:

Hi Scooby Jim,  I'm exploring the same upgrade and came across this post, you've done a great job so thanks for sharing the rebuild. You mentioned after the first test drive the turbo wasn't kicking in till 2000rpm. Since doing the other upgrades with the fuel pump etc, did the turbo kick in around the 1500rpm mark like the manufacturer states on their site. I've seen a youtube vid by Rover Tasmania and he said the same, not much improvement before 2000rpm but better pull/power after that. Can I also ask where you got the new actuator from, I emailed Turbo Rebuild but they don't have them. Many thanks!

What I meant to say was that there is no Kick as such and the boost is well below 15psi below 1500rpm, I'll do a video of my boost gauge if i can set my go pro up to see both.
But honestly the power is progressive and seamless,all the way till it runs out of puff, but I think that one of those pump timing advance spacers may help.
The EGT rises under hard acceleration to over 750 degrees, but my understanding is that as long as you aren't pinned at that temperature all day you should be fine as the oil will dissipate heat into the oil system, and that when you let off the temps nose dive.

I recently did a day greenlaning, and the temps barely got over 2-300 degrees, and the engine performed flawlessly, easily and effortlessly taking everything that came its way. The centre diff lock lever didnt fare too well, so need a new one of those lol.