Chassis plate query

I had a look at a Defender 90 over the weekend that was for sale at a local car dealer.  It was a 1999 model on a Q plate.  The dealer claimed it was on a Q plate because it had been exported and then re-imported, although I think that's rubbish.

But what was strange is the fact that I couldn't see a chassis number on the chassis itself and there was no chassis plate on the brake servo mount.  What it did have was a small green tag with 6 numbers followed by 'LR' riveted on the brake servo mount.  This matched the chassis number on the V5 document.  Has anyone see this before or have any idea if there's a reason for this?

I decided it was all too dodgy, especially as they claimed the mileage was 73,000 but an online check of the MOT showed it was 112,000 back in 2007.

Think you did the right thing by walking away.

No VIN Plate means alarmbells should start ringing.

Export vehicles will have a chassisno. stamped behind the front right wheel in the chassis by the factory.

These models will have had a 17 digit VIN no., usu. starting with SALL.... (Land Rover)

Re-importing could be possible of course - but normally results in an age related plate.

When my old truck went though the SVA for a Q plate, the chassis was not stamped and the VIN plate was a home made affair  that consisted of a square of Ali  and a number made up with hand punches, riveted onto the seat box and that satisfied the man from the Ministry

The number had to be unique and tie up with your submitted SVA application, or you could have asked the  DVLA and they would have supplied you with a number.

HTH

When I helped a friend with his car that needed a Q plate we were stumped by what vin plate to use, so I took my stamps and some thin stainless, asked the tester and he said you can use your phone number for all I care, if someone comes with the same number we will know who to call ;-)

We used his post code followed by FAST! and that's what ended up on his log book.

At one time we could ring the local office and ask them or drop in for a brew* and a moan.. today I guess a call to Swansea is the best bet.

*Technically I never got a brew out of them but they did have a vending machine.

As les says for vehicles that were sva'ed the fact it's on a q plated makes it highly likely it's totally legit. If I saw that type of plate on a normal registration I'd walk away on a q plated however I'd have no problem but I would check thoroughly. It is most likely a "hybrid" built from parts then registered correctly. For IVA you now have to apply to the dvla for a vin number in the normal format mine starts DVLA####### but you still have to stamp it yourself or by a garage on a homemade plate.

Mike

Edited by miketomcat

I thought a Q plate was used when they couldn't define a proper age for the car.  It was a 1999 model so originally a diesel but had been fitted with a v8.  The log book said it was a 3.5 but the engine number started 40D which means it's a 4.2.  It had also been converted from a pick up to a station wagon.

It had clearly had a lot of money spent on it looking through the receipts and it wasn't cheap parts that were used.

But it sounds like the green tag could be valid if it's on a Q plate.  However, the missing 60,000 miles was enough to put me off.

Thanks for the answers.

A few years ago q plates were used a lot more freely as in if the age was in question at all they just q'ed it. My dad built a kit using one donor bar the engine that got a q now however it would get an age related. I've built my ibex using two donors so I can deliberately get a q plate. Because a q means "we've looked at it and don't know for sure so given it a new identity" so to me as long as everything matches the log book the chances are it's more likely to be legit than a lot of trucks out there.

Mike

I wouldn't be frightened off by any of that. Just make sure you give it all a good check over and verify the ID with the DVLA to be sure it's legit. As Mike says, the fact it has been looked at and Q plated is a good thing. Regarding the mileage discrepancy, speedo heads are so easily changed it really doesn't surprise me if the truck has had loads of other work done too. On an old Defender mileage is largely irrelevant anyway, you are far better off inspecting the condition of what you can see in front of you. Take a seasoned LR mechanic along to look at it, they should be able to spot any tell tale signs of things that are about to implode.