RRC 94 Sticky door handle

Aerosol

Hi all. My passenger side front door needs to be ' snatched ' to open , and then only sometimes does it open ( works fine from inside  ) I've had a good search but can't see anything relevan for a RRC. Central locking all works Ok. Any help, gratefully appreciated, ta :-) 

Take the door panel off, and make sure all the rods are in place that should be, not bent, and that none of the bushing have fallen out or disintegrated.

Also, check hinge alignment, as too much pressure on the locking mechanism can make it tricky to open.

My passenger door does this, but being a passenger door, it doesn't get fixed :)

• Like 1

Many of the rods have adjustable end clips, and one between the handle and latch assembly may need adjusting.  It'll be quite obvious how to do it once you remove the door trim (that needs the the blanking discs in the interior grab handle prising out to reveal the two screws in the handle, a screw in the interior latch handle surround, and the vertical lock plunger surround needs to be prised upwards for removal prior to levering the card off the door frame).

• Like 1

I have a RRC94 and had this problem on my rear near side passenger door. Did as Bowie 69 suggested but no improvement. If you put the window down and lift the knob that goes up and down, can you open the door normally with the outside handle.

I understand there is a detent or spring in the latch mechanism that wears or loses tension. Tried lubricating with spray oil (although handbook says do not oil!) Did not help, so had to have a new latch fitted.                             

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, walace58 said:

I have a RRC94 and had this problem on my rear near side passenger door. Did as Bowie 69 suggested but no improvement. If you put the window down and lift the knob that goes up and down, can you open the door normally with the outside handle.

I understand there is a detent or spring in the latch mechanism that wears or loses tension. Tried lubricating with spray oil (although handbook says do not oil!) Did not help, so had to have a new latch fitted.                             

http://www.nickslandrover.co.uk/range-rover-classic-discovery-i-door-lock-repair/;)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...