TD5 Rear Cam oil seal

reb78

Has anyone changed the rear cam oil seal on a TD5 with the engine in situ? Any tips on how to do it? There's an oil leak back there and I have changed all of the other likely offenders (FPR, rocker seal and the rubber bolt seals for the rocker cover).

We looked at this one friends Disco and it was ultimately the FPR...

Did you put some additional sealant on the back section of the rocker cover gasket?

Looking back on the head change I did, I don't think you will be able to get the rear seal out and back in because of the location of your bulkhead. No access to it from within the rocker cover...

I may be proven wrong...

It should be doable.

Pull the rear sound cover off if you can't get at the bolts (I pulled mine off a month or two ago and filed it for further use and have only just remembered, so it doesn't make much difference to noise).

I wonder if taking the rocker off might give you a bit more room and maybe even an option to push it out from the inside.

Putting back on will involve a bit of leverage I guess, they just push in, but having said that, it's reasonably tight.

Why they didn't just use a bolt on metal plate with gasket I have no idea... 

BTW even with the gearbox out, the access is still pretty average

Thanks Steve. I dont think anyone thought about access and practicality whem they designed this engine. The FPR is hard enough to change without destroying your hands or dismantling that side of the engine! I hear the D3 is worse though! 

With the rocker cover off there's is no access to the seal from inside the head.

The cam is between the two parts of the head and fills the section completely. The seal will only come out from the rear of the engine.

Try as we might, we couldn't get purchase on the seal ..... You might get some better access by lifting the engine, remove the engine mounts and then drop the engine away from the bulkhead.... Only a theory. Not tested.... 

As you can see from the attached picture of a TD5 head split, the cam is clamped in the hole at the end... The wider inset hole is where the seal is pushed in. With the cam in, there is deffo no access from inside the head.

IMG_2329.thumb.JPG.247512b970187f51e2ed30879b9fe71f.JPG

Sorry.. I didn't take a picture of the head built up from that end....

Probably quite a simple task in a Defender as you should be able to drill the plug and extract... Might need to remove the airbox and bracket, but that'll only take a few minutes.