If you value this forum's future please support us
Sign in to follow this  
Range Rover Blues

300TDi cam belt

Posted (edited)

Hi Guys.  I'm replacing a cam belt that sadly has snapped.  I know I should have done it before now but it was still within the mileage window, what I didn't know was that it was not done correctly!

Anyway, the engine might have survived and I'm putting it back together but when i line up the pulleys the camshaft pulley wants to be half a tooth off from the timing mark.

I remember this happening last time I did one, is it common?  any advice of which way to let it fall?  there's a photo in the tech archive where it looks to be retarder half a tooth?

Any advice would be great, thanks

Edited by Range Rover Blues

Align the camshaft gear to the alignment mark, then loosen the three bolts on the fuel injection pump gear, and turn it so that the belt slips over the pump gear. Assuming you have the flywheel and fuel pump locked in their respective correct positions ?

Yes I bought the timing kit last time I did one.  So the alignment mark is a starting position before the belt is fully tensioned.  That makes sense, many thanks.

Then once it's on, loosen the bolts again and give it a very slight turn to the clockwise

9 hours ago, honitonhobbit said:

Then once it's on, loosen the bolts again and give it a very slight turn to the clockwise

'It' being the FIP gear or the engine?