300Tdi Fuel Injection Pump

Boydie

I'm in the throws of giving the old girl a total service getting ready for our/my trip down the Canning Stock Route (see my thread on trips etc) and I noticed after fitting the auxiliary 35 litre fuel tank and running it for a while to recharge batteries and flush some fuel through the system before I changed all the fuel filters that there was a slight drip of diesel coming from a bleed rubber just below the turbo actuated diaphragm. 

I removed the diaphragm assembly, the upper section had a smattering of engine oil from the turbo pressure line and the underside quite a bit of diesel, I cleaned it up replacing it so the wear mark on the pin aligned with the plunger etc. and ran the engine, --- so far no more dripping fuel however ------ ???????

This doesn't appear to be normal as I would have noticed it before now, so does it signify a need to have the FIP overhauled ? or is there an easy fix ? 

There is a pretty cheap ebay kit containing all the seals for the pump available, it was a few years ago now I bought it and fitted a fair bit of it. ebay search

There is also a good set of videos first video showing the process to do it in place and finally Simon Brown has a post here in the tech archive forums detailing some of the same work.

If you are happy to remove from the car then it's going to be heaps easier, but presents it's own set of problems for alignment afterwards.

The only thing I remember is making sure you mark the shaft properly, not like I did :) , and that you should push down on the throttle shaft while you remove the plate or I reckon you can bend the linkage, which makes for very strange running afterwards.

No leak after the job for at least 12 months until I sold mine.

Okay, major panic over.  I spoke to a guy who overhauls these pumps, in competition to Bosch who told me to save my self some megabucks and run a triple dose of diesel conditioner through the system and take the Disco for a longish run.  The product he advised is an Australasian made liquid called "Flash Lube"  it apparently compensates for the lack of sulphor in current diesel fuels and this deletion has the effect of causing the compound in early seals to dry out and the seals to leak.  This "Flash Lube" has a chemical that causes the seals to "swell" and reseal as new.

Anyway, 1 litre of this cast me $25.00 and will normally do 1000 litres of diesel (50 ml to 50 litres) and I dropped into the tank around 1/2 a litre - my fully filled tank now being 160 litres.  So, we went for a drive today and after just under 400 kilometers, I now have zero leaks !!  

Had I not experienced it myself I'd never had believed it.  Okay so I'm now going to have to carry a litre of this stuff with me and drop in 100 ml at every major 100 litre fill and in the long term a rebuilt FIP is definitely on the cards but for the next few thousand k's it's a quick, inexpensive and easy fix that you too might want to consider.