v8 more torque

L90-v8

hi all

I'm looking to rebuild a 4.6 gems an fit into a 90 its currently a 3.5 efi in very good working order was rebuild not long before I purchased it I find it has adequate power on road but I want more power especially more torque lower down the rev range I understand the 4.6 will have more power and torque to start with but I would like to build it right first time theres a lot of racey parts available but previous experience of these parts in various cars ive had they are what they say they are for race applications an not suited to the road unless you thrash the living daylights from it

I was looking at the kent H180k as a starting point is there any better options for a off road landy its not a racer so I'm after power from idle

is there anything else to consider to gain better power low down

I'm going to megasquirt spark an fuel

anyone know the outputs of the 4.6 gems an 4.6 thor I'm sure I read it was about 20ft lb different   I have no experience of the 4.6 in any form but I have had a 3.5 and 3.9 the 3.9 feels more powerfull only trouble is there hard to compare the two the 90 is on 285 km2 with a lt77 and 1.2 transfer box an the disco is on 235 saharas with a zf22 and a 1.2 transfer box  

I guess the long inlets improve the torque of the thor over the short trumpets of the gems I had a look online to see if the cams are the same I can only find one part number for the 4.6 ERR5250 if both share the same cam the power is just down to that manifold if so maybe I should consider fitting one

It looks like a bolt on job you will need the plenum the plenum base and the v inlet manifold  I guess a few pipes might have to move an various sensors moved I know the trumpets on a gems are in a different place on a thor as I purchased a gasket for a 4.0 to fit the 3.9 the ports are in a completely different place

I'm not 100% sure as ive never really seen one or had any dealings with them but the top hose still comes out in roughly the same place as the serps an non serps so its possible a conventional stat will fit  it also has one of those inline thermostats in the hose like the gems I'm sure these can be retro fitted an ditch the inline one

Just putting mine back together now. I can't compare against gems but I can say there is enough torque at the bottom to spin 33" 12.50 bfgs tyres and my rear Salisbury short shaft is beginning to twist a little. I'm fitting a crower 229 cam which allegedly puts 20bhp across the rev range and increases low end torque considerably

Nige sells a thermostat housing for thor

you need the Thor rocker covers as well to do it properly as it used a different set of breathers

The throttle body being where it is has made it difficult to mount an air box in a sensible place but you can get around that

thor throttle cable will fit but you need to mod the throttle pedal or buy a small cable clevis

buy a TD5 washer bottle

Make sure you get the hose fitting to the fuel rail when you buy the manifold

its a fairly simple conversion if your using MS to install it.IMG_0775.thumb.JPG.d184ebf68a6c0b2f21585396dd2efb3c.JPG

IMG_0779.thumb.JPG.366e9245f16232324952130f28f61f9d.JPG

dangerous doug

that's really good info there and some good pics in a defender I wasn't to sure if it was worth the extra effort to convert from gems to thor but it sounds like it could be

steve g

I hear what you say the gems looks tidy an going from a hotwire to gems its also easier as everything is in the same place pretty much

I think the losing under bonnet aesthetics an gaining the extra torque could be worth it mines no show winner its a straight tidy 90 but I would rather smile while driving it than smile everytime I open the bonnet I could be wrong tho as I seem to spend more time under the bonnet than driving it

9 minutes ago, dangerous doug said:

I'm not sure it's the prettiest thing ever but when the bonnets open I'm rarely in the mood to admire it or say nice things.

looks fine to me    last time my bonnet was open I had a few choice words to say about her at 8 o clock at night on the side of the road over 300 miles from home

going to take the plunge an fit a thor top end with the megasquirt the pics above make the install look better without the bulky thor front end doug are you using 3.9 serp cover with a dummy dizzy

The engine was a standard 3.9 serp yes. Everything more or less just bolts on. 

There is a full build thread on the members vehicle forum of mine.

any questions feel free to ask

EDIT:

ive just seen you are in Norfolk, where abouts? I haunt the land from time to time so may be able to help

near swaffham I have a good idea of what I want an buy the look of it your very similar

I'm going to run ms not sure what version ms2 or ms3

4.6 was gems

thor top end

h180 cam

3.9 front cover so the oil filter don't hit the front cover