D5 spotted in the wild

elbekko

1 hour ago, Bowie69 said:

Surely that is a Toyota?

I'd be less embarrassed for LR if it was... but alas. Most definitely the D5, offset rear plate and all. I think my eyes developed a little bit of cancer.

48 minutes ago, SteveG said:

Doesn't look that wild, and nice stitching btw ;);) 

I'm not going to take the car I was driving into proper wilderness, my driveway is bad enough :lol:

Edited by elbekko
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, elbekko said:

I'd be less embarrassed for LR if it was... but alas. Most definitely the D5, offset rear plate and all. I think my eyes developed a little bit of cancer.

Well indeed, I think my dry SOH got miscommunicated there! :)

Is there a term for that sort of slightly-trashy-but-trying-to-be-suave-but-overall-too-glossy-until-it-finally-misses-the-point style of automotive design usually favoured by Asian car companies trying to move upmarket but unable to understand terms such as "style" and "restraint"? (So that a 30-year-old Jaguar still looks classy and refined in comparison.) If not, then a word should be coined to describe this move by JLR into further suburban mediocrity. 

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 04/05/2017 at 3:29 PM, Davo said:

Is there a term for that sort of slightly-trashy-but-trying-to-be-suave-but-overall-too-glossy-until-it-finally-misses-the-point style of automotive design usually favoured by Asian car companies trying to move upmarket but unable to understand terms such as "style" and "restraint"? (So that a 30-year-old Jaguar still looks classy and refined in comparison.) If not, then a word should be coined to describe this move by JLR into further suburban mediocrity. 

Yes. Kardashianed or Spiced.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've had the misfortune to see quite a few of these on the road lately, and from the back they are the ugliest thing , in my opinion , I've ever seen..even  co workers who are not into land rovers have commented on how odd and out of proportion it looks. But what do you expect from a company who seem to have forgotten who there core customers are.. can you imagine a cherry picker mounted on that. or hauling a load of logs, or animal feed? Or maybe that's not the customers they want or need these days

On 2017-6-3 at 8:40 PM, rickdulas said:

I've had the misfortune to see quite a few of these on the road lately, and from the back they are the ugliest thing , in my opinion , I've ever seen..even  co workers who are not into land rovers have commented on how odd and out of proportion it looks. But what do you expect from a company who seem to have forgotten who there core customers are.. can you imagine a cherry picker mounted on that. or hauling a load of logs, or animal feed? Or maybe that's not the customers they want or need these days

Totally agree.  Seems to be a common trend at the moment.  The Volvo XC90 is gorgeous from the front, but hideously ugly and boring from the back.  I too followed a D5 recently, and it took me a while to realise what it was.  The lines are all wrong at the back.

Not just the back, in the case of the D5 - it's sort of okay from the front, though ill proportioned (looks rather tall and narrow), but it's not great from the side either. The back view is definitely what pushes it over into outright plug ugly, though.

On 05/06/2017 at 5:35 AM, Shackleton said:

It was one of those "friend of a friend at JLR" things but someone said that they've had dogs abuse over the design of the D5 and it's a bit of a sore point.

Richly deserved!

• Like 1

Ah, self-flagellation at JLR; what could be better? It's not just the sheer shopping centre banality of what they make that gets me, it's the way I can't tell what is a Land Rover, or which one is which. Perhaps there is a market for a WWII-style recognition charts? 

• Like 2

Their marketing people must have said the D5 will sell well and they are probably right.  After all, there are already a huge number of near-identical looking cars (mostly of oriental origin) on the road.  As an owner of multiple Land Rovers over a few decades, I find it a very sad state of affairs to know that they no longer make a car for me to even covet, let alone buy.  Maybe it's just a phase?

I'm in the same boat, not even considering a new or newish Land Rover of any sort, and probably never will. If this is a phase, it seems to have started in the '90s and will sadly keep going for some time.